PPTP alternative

Associate
As I'm sure most on here that have Apple devices and have upgraded to IOS 10 are aware the PPTP VPN option has been removed. Quite understandable due to the security risks of it.

This however leaves me looking for an alternative option and how to set it up. I've got a Asus RT-N16 router running Tomato firmware (1.28). I have the VPN setup on the router with the certificate and keys but cannot work out how to get my iPhone or iPad to connect to it - Any help would be much appreciated.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I think you will have to create your own OpenVPN config.

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorial...Up-a-VPN-Server-on-a-Tomato-Router-Part-2.htm

A: Here are some basic pointers for importing .ovpn files:

Recent versions of iTunes hide the left sidebar where tethered iOS devices are shown. To fix, go to View / Show Sidebar.

When you import a .ovpn file using iTunes, make sure that all files referenced by the .ovpn file such as ca, cert, and key files are dropped at the same time into the iTunes file sharing window for the OpenVPN app.

Profiles must be UTF-8 (or ASCII) and under 256 KB in size.

Consider using the unified format for OpenVPN profiles which allows all certs and keys to be embedded into the .ovpn file. This eases management of the OpenVPN configuration because it integrates all elements of the configuration into a single file.

https://docs.openvpn.net/docs/openvpn-connect/openvpn-connect-ios-faq.html

Soldato
I always find you need to compromise with VPNs. I wish I could turn off PPTP forwarding on my router; annoyingly my gf's work VPN uses it for some reason. I had a server at home running a VPN using L2TP/IPSec (PSK) with PEAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication but I had to enable the weaker plain MS-CHAPv2 authentication to get it to work on my Android 6.0 phone. >_>

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Once again thanks for the replies.

I've since got OpenVPN working with my router (Asus RT-N16 with Tomato v1.28) as a server. All clients can now connect to it however one problem I've found on PC/Laptops is that shared drives don't connect and will only work when using the IP, is this a DNS issue and how do I resolve this? Whilst I could change the shared from \\server\xxxx to \\192.168.1.xxx\xxxx I'd rather not, and it makes things awquard should I decide to change IP's around in the future.

Soldato
Very few domestic routers offer a DNS service which will give out ips for local computers, on windows computers the other local device names are likely being picked up via windows network services.

You could setup your own DNS server or put static entries in the tnsnames file.

Associate
OP
Thanks, that worked.

For anyone interested I modified the hosts.ics file in:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\

By simply adding:

192.168.1.247 server
192.168.1.237 CCTV
192.168.1.24 SERVER01
etc......

To the end of the file. I've copied this to various computers now and all seem to point back to the right location.

Thanks again, saved me a lot of time, I thought worst case scenario would be changing all hostnames to IP addresses.

Back
Top Bottom