Setting up 2012 R2 Hyper-V

Associate
OP
It's not a problem with the equipment, it's a config issue. You should be able to get it working with your current router, you'll probably just need to add the IP address of the DNS server for the element.local to your client. No need to throw money away.
The problem is that your TP-Link router doesn't know how to forward DNS requests to the element.local DNS servers, so when your client (which is presumably getting IP settings from the router via DHCP?) looks for element.local, the router doesn't know what this host is, hence you can't connect.
You'll have the same problem if you put a new AD/DNS server on your Hyper-V server. You'll need to manually set up your clients with a valid DNS server for that domain.
Honestly, what you really need to do is take a step back away from your keyboard, and then think and plan what you are going to do. It doesn't sound like you have the best grasp of networking or Active Directory based on what you've posted here, so your next step should be to write down what you're looking to achieve, then work out how to do it. Put together a little network diagram, have a bit of a read of how DNS works, plan out how you want AD to look, think about which other VM servers you'll want to work on. Otherwise, you'll end up with something that doesn't work properly and spend loads of time figuring out issues that are peculiar to your setup, and not the things you actually want to learn.
The client laptop has a static IP as does the server so it shouldn't be using the DHCP server on the router. To be honest I haven't covered active directory yet as I the only course I've done so far is an MTA in Networking and Infrastructure so it looks like I may need to do some more research and planning. For the time being all I'm looking for from this server is for it to run VMs and for me to be able to use them from my client laptop e.g. VMs for media server, game servers that can be configured via the laptop if that makes sense (Sorry if I'm being vague) :)

Associate
The client laptop has a static IP as does the server so it shouldn't be using the DHCP server on the router.

Okay but the same thing applies - your laptop does not know how to resolve element.local.

Couple of ways you can fix this:

1. Add element.local and the IP address for the element.local DC to your hosts file
2. Change the config of your laptop's NIC to add the DNS server for the element.local domain

#2 would be preferable.

Associate
OP
Okay but the same thing applies - your laptop does not know how to resolve element.local.
Couple of ways you can fix this:
1. Add element.local and the IP address for the element.local DC to your hosts file
2. Change the config of your laptop's NIC to add the DNS server for the element.local domain
#2 would be preferable.
Right then, I shall try #2. I may need to do some more research but I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for the help so far by the way :)

Associate
OP
Okay, today I got home and after a few hours of meddling I'm reinstalling Windows 2012 R2. I think the DNS is out of my competence for Server 2012 R2 so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what the easiest I could set up a server so it runs VMs which I can manage using Hyper-V from a separate PC? :)

Associate
I assume this is small scale stuff, so while not best practise i think this is what you want.
(AI ssume you only have 1 physical server and 1 laptop.)

1.) Setup the physical server as a domain controller, install the hyper-v role on that server.
2.) Create VMs and use either an external (if you want internet access from them ) or internal network (they talk to each other and physical servers, they wont have internet access)...(do not use private or they wont talk to the physical domain controller or laptop).
3.) Join the laptop to the domain and use the remote server admin tools for admin the VMs.

Associate
OP
I assume this is small scale stuff, so while not best practise i think this is what you want.
(AI ssume you only have 1 physical server and 1 laptop.)

1.) Setup the physical server as a domain controller, install the hyper-v role on that server.
2.) Create VMs and use either an external (if you want internet access from them ) or internal network (they talk to each other and physical servers, they wont have internet access)...(do not use private or they wont talk to the physical domain controller or laptop).
3.) Join the laptop to the domain and use the remote server admin tools for admin the VMs.
Yep that's pretty much what I'm looking for, right now there are two servers and two laptops with a third server being added later this year/next so it's not a big setup. Ill try that when I get home tonight then :)

Associate
OP
Okay so the servers set up again however now I can't get the laptop set up on the domain despite all the necessary roles being installed on the server. Just wondering how would I go about getting this setup in the most simple configuration possible? :)

Back
Top Bottom