Buying a UPS

Associate
I've found a like new APC Smart-UPS RS 1500 with unused battery local for £80, the guy says they have a few years left in them which sounds iffy

No experience with the 'RS' models. Not sure if they're better or worse than the standard ones.

I'm sure any UPS from the big brands will be fine as long as it has a 'pure sine' output and not square wave (like what you get from the Back-UPS range). That's the key thing to look out for.

Man of Honour
It's worth noting, the average length of a power cut in the UK (OK, actually in the area covered by UK power networks) has been hovering around 40 minutes for most of the decade.

I've been meaning to try and get some data on the 95th percentile outage time from them but it's broadly safe to say that if you have an hours runtime on battery then power will be restored before you exhaust your battery supply in most* power cuts.

I personally like running a separate UPS for router/wireless as that makes it easy to get 5-6 hours uptime for connectivity to phone/laptop (which is what matters most to me).

* Where 'most' means more than 50%....

Man of Honour
I have my NAS setup to shutdown after 15 minutes - shows 2 hours and a bit with everything connected - once the NAS goes down I still get about 5-6 hours on the router assuming the phoneline and backhaul are still functioning.

Over the last 10 years or so we've not really had much in the way of power outages - had a couple of instance recently where it went out for ~10 seconds at a time several times in a row but the rest of the town was out for hours - quite interesting to see the router stats on one of my lines as the SNR, etc. cleared up massively while the rest of the town was out.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's worth noting, the average length of a power cut in the UK (OK, actually in the area covered by UK power networks) has been hovering around 40 minutes for most of the decade.

I've been meaning to try and get some data on the 95th percentile outage time from them but it's broadly safe to say that if you have an hours runtime on battery then power will be restored before you exhaust your battery supply in most* power cuts.

I personally like running a separate UPS for router/wireless as that makes it easy to get 5-6 hours uptime for connectivity to phone/laptop (which is what matters most to me).

I agree with the router/WAP. In NZ we've mostly gone VOIP and the cabinets have their own UPS so generally they survive the power outages ok. I have a small unit that powers my Fritz!box but will need replacing when I get fibre as that uses a different device.

I think a UPS is good for anybody running a server that is expected to be on 24/7 as instant power loss isn't so good for components and storage devices, so while mine won't last more than an hour (NZ has very average power delivery services and so often we have outages of +7 hours during the winter months) it does shut everything down safely, which is critical for a 12 bay synology system running RAID6!

Associate
OP
To be honest I've been thinking about this as the networking segment of the house will be away from the servers so that way I can buy two UPS so the router doesn't disconnect if the server UPS dies :)
I have my NAS setup to shutdown after 15 minutes - shows 2 hours and a bit with everything connected - once the NAS goes down I still get about 5-6 hours on the router assuming the phoneline and backhaul are still functioning.
Over the last 10 years or so we've not really had much in the way of power outages - had a couple of instance recently where it went out for ~10 seconds at a time several times in a row but the rest of the town was out for hours - quite interesting to see the router stats on one of my lines as the SNR, etc. cleared up massively while the rest of the town was out.
I think I'll have to try this although the more I think about it the more I prefer the idea of two UPS' as it means I can buy them in stages to help spread out the cost as well :)
Your host shouldn't be a DC, ideally it shouldn't be doing anything but being a Hyper-V host.
I know but right now I don't have the funds to buy another server to run the Hyper-V kit on. Is there any reason why this is a bad idea though as I'm new to all this stuff and once Server 2016 comes out I'll be re-designing the network again anyway :)

I agree with the router/WAP. In NZ we've mostly gone VOIP and the cabinets have their own UPS so generally they survive the power outages ok. I have a small unit that powers my Fritz!box but will need replacing when I get fibre as that uses a different device.
I think a UPS is good for anybody running a server that is expected to be on 24/7 as instant power loss isn't so good for components and storage devices, so while mine won't last more than an hour (NZ has very average power delivery services and so often we have outages of +7 hours during the winter months) it does shut everything down safely, which is critical for a 12 bay synology system running RAID6!
Haha, 12 bays makes my little 4 bay server setup look "piffly" in comparison and you're right about powering down components properly as I don't particularly want to buy a new server/loose all my data every time theres a power cut (Becoming slightly common in our area due to new houses being build) :)

Soldato
I know but right now I don't have the funds to buy another server to run the Hyper-V kit on. Is there any reason why this is a bad idea though as I'm new to all this stuff and once Server 2016 comes out I'll be re-designing the network again anyway :)

One main one is licensing, by making your host a DC you've now lost a virtual licence. Previously you get two VMs with one physical Hyper-V host, by making your host a DC you've now lost the licence to that second VM. Next is the backups though... if your host was to die running just Hyper-V, that's not too much of an issue. Re-install the OS, quick config of Hyper-v and your VMs are back online.

With your host being your only DC you now have to install the OS, configure Hyper-V AND sort out AD. That massively increases restore times.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One main one is licensing, by making your host a DC you've now lost a virtual licence. Previously you get two VMs with one physical Hyper-V host, by making your host a DC you've now lost the licence to that second VM. Next is the backups though... if your host was to die running just Hyper-V, that's not too much of an issue. Re-install the OS, quick config of Hyper-v and your VMs are back online.
With your host being your only DC you now have to install the OS, configure Hyper-V AND sort out AD. That massively increases restore times.
So it would be worth while me getting another DC or Hyper-V server in case it goes belly up :)
At least it currently backups up a separate server to create a full system image :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom