***** Official 2016 BBQ Thread - Chucking it Down: Proper British BBQ Weather *****

Man of Honour
Following on from the 2015 thread...

Sheets of pouring rain, biting cold, an umbrella and a pint of beer. You're ready for British BBQ.

A few of our previous efforts:

Pork tenderloin stuffed with jelepenos and cream cheese by timmeh.
KPuBqCk.jpg

Beef rib by ganesh.
7yZXLFel.jpg

Oak-smoked Moroccan lamb shoulder by ganesh.
33pVckg.jpg

Beer-can chicken by Bipolar Kittens.
F3DAE7EA-1EE4-468E-9FA1-B9A6F5F24A50_zpsntzdccme.jpg

Marinaded lamb chops by Stan Lite.
tvcdDDe.jpg

Beer-can burgers by randomshenans' kids.
11372297_1177609258932064_2054744025_n.jpg

Jerk chicken by Stan Lite.
LIMTEcl.jpg

Steak, charred white asparagus, courgette, tomato, onion and potato salad by Stan Lite.
VJBWRDX.jpg

Mocha-rubbed oak-smoked beef ribs by FrenchTart.
izuY0rx.jpg

Beef ribs by oli collett.
CMeSp_4WEAAOaVx.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
BBQ Guides/Info

Some "things to look out for as a newbie BBQer": [here]

Snake method for low and slow smoking on a regular kettle BBQ: [here]

Great guy to get wood chunks from: [here]

Two-zone method for low and slow cooking on a regular kettle BBQ: [here]

More to come...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yeah..I've not BBQ'd anything for a while myself. I need to get back on it :)

Btw - if anyone has any more things to add to the first two posts let me know. The OP I thought we could have some of the more tasty stuff from last year shown and in the second post links to guides/sources of wood/etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought myself a Cobb BBQ last year to take fishing. Wow what a buy. Seems pricey for what it is but it is worth every penny if you want something portable.

Cook literately anything in it, coal burns at a good temperature for 3 hours and lights in seconds, the BBQ is cool to touch when in use and can be picked up and moved around with your bare hands. Also has a moat to catch fat and roast veggies in it or alternatively use the moat to put beer/cider to keep roasting meats moist and tender.

I am taking it this weekend to the lake. Normally stick a whole gammon joint and cut off slices of gammon throughout the day to shove in a bap.

Soldato
Need to get some charcoal, but funnily enough not many supermarkets have it at the moment.

Petrol stations never let me down for this sort of thing. Could be 5am on Christmas day and i could pop down to my local 24h station to grab some. Use to go at obscene hours when we had evening BBQs that turned into all night party things.

Associate
After having a quick glance at the other thread, just wondering what would a decent bbq & or smoker on a budget. Just moved house so not much dosh, but would love to start smoking my own food and have a decent bbq for the summer.

Man of Honour
OP
After having a quick glance at the other thread, just wondering what would a decent bbq & or smoker on a budget. Just moved house so not much dosh, but would love to start smoking my own food and have a decent bbq for the summer.

How much do you have to spend? For primarily smoking the ProQ Frontier is very good and quite decent (hotsmoked.co.uk stock them and have great CS).

If you want to do more 'classic' BBQ but still also be able to smoke fairly well then a Webber OneTouch is often recommended. Someone else will be able to give you a bit more detail on that side of things though.

Soldato
Well my Weber has been used at least 3 times so far this year so season is definitely open. Still need to get my Bradley set up for some low and slow short rib, but need to wait for a longer dry period as I'm pretty sure it's not safe to use it in the garage.

Associate
Was thinking about £100 but looking at prices think i will struggle to get something for that, may have see about a smoker once cash flow is better. But i will keep an eye out for Webber bbq's for now.

Man of Honour
OP
Was thinking about £100 but looking at prices think i will struggle to get something for that, may have see about a smoker once cash flow is better. But i will keep an eye out for Webber bbq's for now.

To be honest I've managed to get good results with cheap £50 kettle BBQs from the likes of B&Q. This was before I got access to a better smoker. You can use the snake method and the two-zone method to smoke food well enough. It just requires a bit more attention than a bullet smoker.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for those links, think i will get myself a decent kettle bbq and give those methods a try. I'll keep an eye out for any Webber ones going cheap.

Man of Honour
OP
I think that the unlit charcoal thing is a bit of a myth - there was some investigation on Amazing Ribs about it but I'm not sure where so I don't have the link.

As long as you're not using something silly like instant lighting stuff you'll be fine :)

Regular fresh coals would save a bit of worry compared to using a method you haven't used before so I guess it's a toss-up really.

Back
Top Bottom