Increasing memory in my EX58-UD5 mobo (tri-channel?)

Associate
Hi, I want to run virtual machines for development. The CPU in my PC is fine for my needs. 6GB RAM is not.

My motherboard (Gigabyte EX58-UD5) has 6 memory slots. 3 are populated with Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Low Latency Tri-Channel (PVT36G1600LLK) RAM.

Should I ditch this RAM and buy a new set that is matched / same brand and model or should I add to what I have?

Should I buy tri-channel RAM for this motherboard? I seem to remember that being something I specifically looked for when I bought the memory I have.

Can anyone provide some example RAM I could buy?

Cheers,
Dub

Associate
Triple channel RAM has been end-of-life for a while now. Your best bet is to get a dual-channel kit and a single stick to make the three sticks required.

Associate
Do you require the bandwidth of triple channel over dual channel? Otherwise you could just run 2/4 sticks in dual channel.

Don
You can maintain triple channel memory whilst using 4 sticks on that motherboard:

EX58-ud5 manual said:
3 Channel--
When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
When enabling 3 Channel mode with four memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1, DDR3_2, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.

Realistically though (due to your 2gb modules, and the need for modules to match), the best option is to either buy a dual channel kit (and accept maybe a 5% loss of performance - only really noticeable in benchmarks), or buy a dual channel kit and a matching single stick as suggested.

Sources:
http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud5(p)_e.pdf

Soldato
I have a EX-58 UD4P , you can use dual channel or triple channel. I have 3x4gb and 3x1gb

you could buy the ram listed below. for 12gb get the single and dual kit, for 24gb get 3x of the dual kit

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £55.68
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Soldato
You can maintain triple channel memory whilst using 4 sticks on that motherboard:

Realistically though (due to your 2gb modules, and the need for modules to match), the best option is to either buy a dual channel kit (and accept maybe a 5% loss of performance - only really noticeable in benchmarks), or buy a dual channel kit and a matching single stick as suggested.

Sources:
http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud5(p)_e.pdf

This works fine - I currently have 16GB (4x4) in my EX58-UD5.
Cheapest way is probably what Kurgen suggested unless you want to look on the bay for another 3 2GB sticks.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother messing around with triple channel. I can guarantee this kit works fine with a UD5 if you are worried over compatibility issues.

BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00CEU - Ballistix Sport 16 GB (2x8) DDR3 1.5V XMP(Works)

Soldato
Just get a 16GB kit and put it in, my brother runs an X58 board with dual channel and it works perfectly fine.

Soldato
Another option is buying 3x dual channel kits. A couple years back I purchased 3 kits of 2x 8GB for a total of 48GB. I still have my 6x 2GB sticks hanging around somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom