Projector Hd141x queries (and roku)

Soldato
Im planning on picking this up tomorrow but wondered if anyone else has one?

I've used an Optoma projector before so i have an idea what to expect. Are owners generally happy with the picture etc?

Also i was going to also get ROKU streaming stick to give it "smart" capabilities netflix, iplayer, nowtv, amazon prime etc. However there is a number of varieties of this? Is it fine just to stick with the streaming stick? Or do i need one of the roku boxes? I assume if im watching netflix on the streaming stick the content is in HD yeah? (yeh ive got the hd netflix package)

Ohh i will have a 32" Samsung tv for sale as a result of this :D mm soon probably.

Soldato
OP
hrmm i think i might get a kodi box instead. fair few of them on the bay. I suppose i can just order the roku streaming stick and if i'm not happy just return it to amazon.

Associate
Do you mean the rainbow effect?

Funny how some people see it and some don't. I don't notice it at all which is a bonus!

OP I'd recommend going to see the projector in person or another DLP projector to see if you see the rainbows and how it effects you

Caporegime
Do you mean the rainbow effect?

Funny how some people see it and some don't. I don't notice it at all which is a bonus!

OP I'd recommend going to see the projector in person or another DLP projector to see if you see the rainbows and how it effects you

Yeah.
The colour wheel on the 141X is slow, so that's why it's quite susceptible.

In games I don't really notice it.

Soldato
OP
first impression.

The plug cord is far far too short wtf. Cant believe how short it is....makes no sense at all...esp for folks who ceiling mount it...that means you got sockets going halfway up the wall :confused:

Image quality of the projector i will have to faff about to get best image settings. Not too impressed with the blacks though. Dont get much detail in them at all :eek:

Have got it sitting on a bookcase but will be ceiling mounting it asap.

Unfortunately the rainbow effect is noticeable...Haven't noticed it on dlp projector before. In complete darkness image quality is very good admittedly.

Last edited:
Associate
The projector is fantastic value for money - I've had a few over the years. Very happy with it - I would recommend switching the super black (this is probably the wrong name for it!) setting off when you get it. I found the fan was too loud and as soon as I switched it off this was a lot quieter.
I haven't tried 3D on it so can't advise how that works.

Soldato
What sound system do you guys use with yours?

i use a denon avr-x2200w which is currently a ridiculous price at richer sounds, it has two hdmi outs so tv in one projector in the other, happy days :)

regards power cable i bought a 10 metre power cord and hdmi lead from amazon and both have been faultless, for 3d i have 2 pairs of sainsonic bravia glasses.

Soldato
OP
What screen you using OP? Black levels are nowhere near as good as a tv but having a completely dark room helps. Try calibrating it with a thx film eg starwars, think its called thx optomiser.

Just a white/cream wall. My go to bluray for HD is usually Bladerunner but the amount of blacks in it make it difficult to judge. My last optoma projector I was blown away by the picture quality. I do have star wars on dvd so cud calibrate with that. I have the following films in bluray..will test asap ail. Baron Munchausen, Interstellar, cloud Atlas, shutter island, edge of tomorrow, Jacobs ladder.

Got it in cinema mode atm. played dark souls 3 earlier and that was pretty good and can hardly notice the rainbow effect :)

The HD quality on my Samsung tv unfortunately is better albeit it's only 40"

Last edited:
Caporegime
first impression.

The plug cord is far far too short wtf. Cant believe how short it is....makes no sense at all...esp for folks who ceiling mount it...that means you got sockets going halfway up the wall :confused:

Image quality of the projector i will have to faff about to get best image settings. Not too impressed with the blacks though. Dont get much detail in them at all :eek:

Have got it sitting on a bookcase but will be ceiling mounting it asap.

Unfortunately the rainbow effect is noticeable...Haven't noticed it on dlp projector before. In complete darkness image quality is very good admittedly.

I did forewarn about the rainbow effect with this particular projector :p
Also, I use a kettle lead extender for mine to be ceiling mounted.

Soldato
OP
I did forewarn about the rainbow effect with this particular projector :p
Also, I use a kettle lead extender for mine to be ceiling mounted.

it's not too bad. The HD quality I am still struggling/experimenting with. May return and get a benq. Less the 15% restocking fee ofc :/

Soldato
OP
I will check a couple more HD sources but im pretty dissapointed with the HD quality of this projector. My previous optoma HD200x was way better!

I have these options as replacement

Optoma HD26
Benq W1070
Benq W1300
Optoma GT1080

Out of these which would you say has the best image quality for HD films and pc gaming? Also with less rainbow effects noticeable.

thanks again :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom