• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Soldato
I think humbug's looking for a cheaper price point than the 1070's which to be fair a lot of people are
Everybody in their right mind wants that. I've never spent more than £270 on a GPU myself, so it's my hope, too.

But there should definitely be lower end 1070's near enough to £300 that will produce the performance he's asking for. Even the budget 3rd party cards should be around stock 980Ti levels at worst, which are easily capable of providing 970-like performance but at a 1080p->1440p jump in resolution.

So I'm just curious what he's going to do if P10 doesn't deliver what he's expecting.

Soldato
Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM CST / 10:00 PM EDT.

So 3pm London time.

Scratch that. That's like 3am June 2?!

3am Wednesday morning. The time figure is 10pm EDT for the 31st in america. Which is 5 hours difference, plus 1 for BST the next day.

The press conference itself is scheduled for 10am local time (02:00 UTC) on June 1st, which for North America translates to 10pm Eastern/7pm Pacific on May 31st.

Last edited:
Associate
Not a lot of material information out of Macau so far, unfortunately. I'm hoping AMD is being mum for the time being then will release some quality infot just before 1080/1070 come in stock to take the wind out of nV's sails. However, with our friends over at [H]OcP now claiming Polaris runs hot and under-performs, I'm not holding my breath.

Associate
Not a lot of material information out of Macau so far, unfortunately. I'm hoping AMD is being mum for the time being then will release some quality infot just before 1080/1070 come in stock to take the wind out of nV's sails. However, with our friends over at [H]OcP now claiming Polaris runs hot and under-performs, I'm not holding my breath.

That whole article was just bs he put together because he didn't get invited. :rolleyes: AMD said from the get go that Polaris would be a mid-range card for the GTX 970 crowd, as that is where the money is (and potential for them to grab a significant market-share). The leaks we've seen thus far indicates that AMD might actually have a winner on its hands, as the early Pascals aren't faring any better in DX12 games compared to the last gen (they need to put in a lot of grunt to pull off a win against the Fury X). Price is also an important factor as if Polaris 10 can match a GTX 1070 in dx12 titles, and are priced much lower, most people would chose a Polaris over a GTX 1070. I am sure the GTX 1060 won't stand a chance.

Soldato
That whole article was just bs he put together because he didn't get invited. :rolleyes: AMD said from the get go that Polaris would be a mid-range card for the GTX 970 crowd, as that is where the money is (and potential for them to grab a significant market-share). The leaks we've seen thus far indicates that AMD might actually have a winner on its hands, as the early Pascals aren't faring any better in DX12 games compared to the last gen (they need to put in a lot of grunt to pull off a win against the Fury X). Price is also an important factor as if Polaris 10 can match a GTX 1070 in dx12 titles, and are priced much lower, most people would chose a Polaris over a GTX 1070. I am sure the GTX 1060 won't stand a chance.

+1
The tweets after the macau event appear to be pretty positive. AMD is trying to gain market share in the sub £250 segments where they actually did well with the 380 and 390 series.
The 1070 seems to be a £300+ card which many will not want to spend. It may come down to around the 970 pricing later but I'm sure AMD will have a competitor there already with the full Polaris (XT?).

Associate
if Polaris 10 can match a GTX 1070 in dx12 titles, and are priced much lower, most people would chose a Polaris over a GTX 1070

Simply matching a 1070 in only DX12 won't be enough. Since most current games use other APIs like DX11 or even OpenGL/Vulkan in the case of Doom.

Granted they apparently showed off a 'RX 480' running Doom at 1440p, but apparently it was VSR to 1440p on a 1080p monitor. And yet the monitor in the screenshot that's been going around is a curved FreeSync 1440p 144Hz monitor... looks like at least one person is lying.

However, much like the Hitman DX12 showcase before it, they mention nothing about in-game settings. The big question is why would they show off 1440p60 performance? Especially when their competitor showed off 1080p at high framerates? Is it because they don't want it to be easy to compare? After all, the GTX 1070/1080 are pretty much the cards to get for 1440p60, currently. If AMD have succeeded at something... it's in confusing us even more and showing us something without us being able to gather anything from it. Bring on Thursday for some real info!

Soldato
early Pascals aren't faring any better in DX12 games compared to the last gen
Well actually they are, quite noticeably. It's not going to be as good as AMD cards can manage it, but they've certainly improved DX12 performance with Pascal.

if Polaris 10 can match a GTX 1070 in dx12 titles, and are priced much lower, most people would chose a Polaris over a GTX 1070
People would choose a card that performs worse in the vast majority of games?

It honestly depends on where they are 'coming from'. Those with 390/970's are probably looking for *at least* 1070 level performance. Those coming from lower than that may not require that much power to justify upgrading, though.

Associate
I'm thinking about this another way: if the rumors of the upcoming Xbox One update having 6 teraflop class GPU are true, then surely Polaris 10 should be able to match and exceed that performance.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Polaris 10 version that meets or even exceeds 1070 performance. Even based on the argument that people mentioned above (that a simple die-shrink of a 390/390x would put it close).

At the end of the day though, AMD has been quite vocal about perf/watt which means to me that they're focusing on small power consumption. It makes sense for the mid-range chip as they can sell it as a high-end notebook solution. I think that the number of laptops vs desktops is much bigger (in retail) and AMD are after deals with OEMs (gaming notebooks) and Apple (macbook air / macbook pro) which will help them claim market share.

So in the end, I suppose they may have sacrificed performance to achieve lower consumption. Therefore, I think that if Polaris can get to within 80% of a 1070 but with much lower power consumption (not price), then AMD have achieved their goal. Gamers won't like it, but the industry will.

The best quote I've read on the subject was (can't remember the source) this: Polaris may not be the GPU we want, but it will be the GPU we need (or something along those lines).

Soldato
+1
The tweets after the macau event appear to be pretty positive. AMD is trying to gain market share in the sub £250 segments where they actually did well with the 380 and 390 series.
The 1070 seems to be a £300+ card which many will not want to spend. It may come down to around the 970 pricing later but I'm sure AMD will have a competitor there already with the full Polaris (XT?).

Seems like a sound strategy to me. NVIDIA are definitely presenting them with an opportunity there.

Soldato
I'm thinking about this another way: if the rumors of the upcoming Xbox One update having 6 teraflop class GPU are true, then surely Polaris 10 should be able to match and exceed that performance.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Polaris 10 version that meets or even exceeds 1070 performance. Even based on the argument that people mentioned above (that a simple die-shrink of a 390/390x would put it close).

At the end of the day though, AMD has been quite vocal about perf/watt which means to me that they're focusing on small power consumption. It makes sense for the mid-range chip as they can sell it as a high-end notebook solution. I think that the number of laptops vs desktops is much bigger (in retail) and AMD are after deals with OEMs (gaming notebooks) and Apple (macbook air / macbook pro) which will help them claim market share.

So in the end, I suppose they may have sacrificed performance to achieve lower consumption. Therefore, I think that if Polaris can get to within 80% of a 1070 but with much lower power consumption (not price), then AMD have achieved their goal. Gamers won't like it, but the industry will.

The best quote I've read on the subject was (can't remember the source) this: Polaris may not be the GPU we want, but it will be the GPU we need (or something along those lines).
That's entirely possible. What a lot of people forget when talking about efficiency is that you can use that increased efficiency in different ways. And it doesn't always mean 'MORE POWER!!'. We usually see a somewhat balanced approach, but it's possible that they've sacrificed on horsepower a bit to produce low watt cards that will have big advantages in a wider variety of applications.

As far as the new XBox goes, that wont be coming til 2017, some sources saying Fall 2017. Anyways, 390X is already 6TF, so P10 doesn't need to do anything but match that at a low power draw in order to be console-ready.

Back
Top Bottom