• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another "which could stop 1080" thread...

Associate
Last edited:
Caporegime
The FTW has extra power and 12 phase VRMs, so should clock better but that is also chip dependent. I have personally gone for the FTW because of the extra power and phases but not sure if it will make a difference overall but time will tell.

Associate
As I said in another thread I had stupidly been using 1x8 and 1x6 on my 2x8 MSI 980ti. I had been getting issues driving my x34 monitor and fps quirks. Now using 2x8 pins my issues are solved.
For that reason I went for the FTW. The power set up in the FTW should in theory yield better and more stable overclocks, although we are yet to fully see how the x80's behave in this respect.
Both versions are factory overclocked.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said in another thread I had stupidly been using 1x8 and 1x6 on my 2x8 MSI 980ti. I had been getting issues driving my x34 monitor and fps quirks. Now using 2x8 pins my issues are solved.
For that reason I went for the FTW. The power set up in the FTW should in theory yield better and more stable overclocks, although we are yet to fully see how the x80's behave in this respect.
Both versions are factory overclocked.

Nothing to do with it being 8 pin + 8 pin card. Simply to do with you not plugging in the power connectors. I have had 0 issues driving the PG348Q with Titan X's (6 + 8 Pin) or even strix GTX 970 (single 8 pin) long story short, if you not plugged in the power connectors for the card, you will get issues. simple as.

Associate
SC is fine and not worth the difference unless you plan to overclock a lot more than 2000mhz. A lot of people here justifying spending £30 more for extra pins and fan

Soldato
I've not OC'd my GPUs before. Assuming I don't OC this one, would the SC version be the one to get?
I'd still spring for the FTW if it was me, as you'll get more performance out of the box and a larger (and therefore likely quieter) cooler. If you're spending £580, you might as well spend £610 after all. :p

Associate
OP
I need to pop my case open to check but I know that my existing GPUs are 2x 6pin PCIe each and looking in my cables draw I have no 8pin cables. Is it possible (/sensible) to get a converter, such as molex to 8pin, or do I need to get specific cables?

I looked on the Internet and couldn't find anything for XFX / Seasonic spare cables...

Associate
OP
I need to pop my case open to check but I know that my existing GPUs are 2x 6pin PCIe each and looking in my cables draw I have no 8pin cables. Is it possible (/sensible) to get a converter, such as molex to 8pin, or do I need to get specific cables?

I looked on the Internet and couldn't find anything for XFX / Seasonic spare cables...

Just answered my own question- my existing cables are 6+2pin, so I have what I need.

Back
Top Bottom