ITX mobo

Associate
I'm look to switch my Matx motherboard for an itx, to build in a NCase M1.
Currently I have a Gigabyte Z97mx gaming 5 and a 4690k cpu and have been looking for a second hand Z97 itx motherboard without much luck.
Is there much difference between Z87 and Z97 chipsets? I've seen several Asus Maximus VI Impact motherboards recently, and been tempted by one of these. Would I be better off waiting for Maximus VII Impact to come along?

Thanks

Soldato
The Maximus VII Impact is already out but this is for Skylake, so the 6600K and 6700K - as you say you want the Z87 version.. Difference between Z87 and Z97 are minimal, just minor tweaks and some support for M.2, but the Z87 Impact has this anyway.

You'll need to update the BIOS on the new board to accept the devils cayon CPU but it will all work - The Impact is a great board, very quick. (I've had two)

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. Ideally I'd like to stick with the same chipset and go for the Maximus VII Impact, but I've had no luck finding one.

Soldato
No, that's going to be a problem (From looking at Google) - Remember it's the Maximus VI Impact you want, not the VII.

Does it have to be that board? Bearing in mind that board has a small riser on it that sometimes excludes it from fitting into conventional ITX cases.

Whats the reason for such a high end mobo? Just cause? Sound? (The Impact boards have great sound quality)

Man of Honour
The Maximus VI Impact is Z87, Maximus VII Impact is Z97 not Z170 which is the Maximus Impact VIII.

If you can find one I would go for the Z97 version just for the newer features. The problem is that at this stage you are going to rely on one to come up for sale second hand on the likes of Ebay and there they go for silly money. I have just scoured all the retailers that I would trust for somebody else and there is not a single Z97 ITX motherboard on sale and in stock in the UK. I would abandon your plan to downsize until you need a complete upgrade of mobo/cpu/memory.

Back
Top Bottom