• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thermal Paste Removal/Application hi

Associate
I use nail varnish remover to get rid of the old thermal paste. I'd recommend Arctic Silver 5 as per RJC's suggestion. It's the only TIM I've used for years and I have no complaints about its performance.

Associate
You'll get all kinds of different advice on how to clean. But yes, personally I dab a little of the TIM cleaner on some kitchen roll then wipe off the top of the CPU IHS and base of the heatsink. Have a couple of cotton buds to hand for around the edges of the CPU IHS.
Double check you don't leave any residue behind.

I tend to use the Akasa cleaner, thermal paste I tend to use AS5 but everybody has there own personal favorite:

Akasa AK-TC TIM Clean CPU & Heatsink Cleaner
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
Exactly what I used yesterday (and 40+ times before that!)

Soldato
IPA or nail varnish remover (acetone) + cotton buds will do the job fine, IPA is circa £2/ltr. Application I tend to use the plastic bag method for compound and again i've used AS since it launched - I probably still have some original stuff kicking about.

Soldato
Associate
+1 on the Akasa TIM Clean. I've got a tube of Arctic Cooling MX-4 which has been great the few times I've used it.

Raises an interesting question, does this stuff go off?

Back
Top Bottom