Good SSD recommendations

Associate
I have a Samsung 840 SSD which is 250gb that has my operating system on and a few games. I can't store that many games on it because it does not have that much space so I kind of want to invest in buying a SSD so I can put games on it.

So I am a total SSD newbie to be honest, I am not sure what specifications are good and what I am meant to be looking for, what SSDs are overpriced and which SSDs are not worth the money.

I do not mind spending a little extra to get a better SSD, but obviously not a ridiculous amount.

What is a good size SSD to buy right now that would be no too unreasonable in terms of pricing?

Associate
most newer SSDs will not give you any noticable day to day performance gains over your 840 (they will in benchmarks though), so go for the popular ones like the samsung one etc.

in terms of capacity, I would go with the price per gig rule, if each gig is about the same price on 2 different capacity SSD across the same model, get the one that fits your budget and needs

Soldato
Get one of these.

I've installed a few of these for friends their fast and you can use the magician software to clone your existing drive saving you the need to reinstall the o.s.

Then you could format your original SSD and stick it in as a second drive.

Associate
OP
Get one of these.

I've installed a few of these for friends their fast and you can use the magician software to clone your existing drive saving you the need to reinstall the o.s.

Then you could format your original SSD and stick it in as a second drive.

Would it not be better to leave my current SSD as OS and then have all the games etc on the second drive?

Do I have to pay for this magician software I have not used that before.

the Samsung 850 evo 500gb seems like the best choice for the price atm.

This looks good, not too expensive, I do have a quick question, so I have noticed that the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB can go for about £230 and there are some SSDs just under £200 around like £170-£190, is it because the Samsung ones are just superior? Is it even worth trying to find a decent deal on a 1TB SSD?

Associate
Would it not be better to leave my current SSD as OS and then have all the games etc on the second drive?

Do I have to pay for this magician software I have not used that before.

This looks good, not too expensive, I do have a quick question, so I have noticed that the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB can go for about £230 and there are some SSDs just under £200 around like £170-£190, is it because the Samsung ones are just superior? Is it even worth trying to find a decent deal on a 1TB SSD?

Samsung is known for their reliability and durability with top notch speed. Sandisk had some deal for their 960GB at only £139 a couple of months back. It was the best deal ever for ssd. For normal use, speed wise, you won't see much difference between samsung or other reputable brands (plextor, kingston, crucial, sandisk, etc) but samsung's durability is proven by having a huge market share.

Associate
OP
Samsung is known for their reliability and durability with top notch speed. Sandisk had some deal for their 960GB at only £139 a couple of months back. It was the best deal ever for ssd. For normal use, speed wise, you won't see much difference between samsung or other reputable brands (plextor, kingston, crucial, sandisk, etc) but samsung's durability is proven by having a huge market share.

So if I can find a 1TB SSD cheaply it does not matter if it is Samsung or not then because the speed difference would be negligible?

The Samsung Magician software is free.

Yes you could use the smaller drive as the OS drive and the new one for games.

Thanks mate I did not know about this.

Soldato
How are Sandisk in the SSD rankings? Generally good?

I have personally seen mixed opinions on them, I would love to know also if they are worth the money.

I have a sandisk ssd plus 120GB which is their most basic model in a sandy bridge i5 laptop. It's seriously quick now, no noticeable speed difference between it and my desktop.

Associate
Always under the impression Sandisk were pretty good although not marketed with the same effectiveness as makes like Samsung and Crucial. Anandtech always rated the Sandisk equivalent of the Samsung Pro drives as pretty much on a par with the Samsung. I've been using a Sansidk Extreme Pro II for a few years and haven't had any problems. Honest opinion - outside of benchmarks and in real world usage "pro" editions probably aren't worth the premium in terms of speed, I'd save some pennies and go with the Samsung 850's or Crucial BX line.

Associate
Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I have a SanDisk 960Gb Ultra II which has died within 2 months of use. Purchased on Black Friday from another online store, didn't get around to installing it and a fresh Windows 10 until the beginning on March. Over the last few days the PC started reporting 'no boot drive found' and the SSD is not found by the BIOS any longer.

I've tried troubleshooting and have assumed at this point after trying different power and SATA cables and ports on the motherboard (both confirmed good with other drives) that the controller in the drive is dead. Luckily it was not a drive with important data on (aside from Windows and games) so no major stress.

Previously I had used a 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro with zero issues. Just food for thought!

Soldato
Intel have legendary ssd status. Great performance and reliability with a price tag to match.

OCZ used to be the worst. They made a product with a Sandforce controller that later down the line had a major issue and caused most of the drives to fail. This bad reputation led to bankruptcy and acquisition by Toshiba (another flash giant). Now they are solid with a highly praised rma service.

Associate
OP
Intel have legendary ssd status. Great performance and reliability with a price tag to match.

OCZ used to be the worst. They made a product with a Sandforce controller that later down the line had a major issue and caused most of the drives to fail. This bad reputation led to bankruptcy and acquisition by Toshiba (another flash giant). Now they are solid with a highly praised rma service.

There seems to be so many choices that are all pretty decent, I think I am looking at most likely the Samsung one but if you were to pick a ssd which one would you pick?

Soldato
Honestly? The cheapest.

I'm fairly sure that I would never perceive the difference between 2 sata 3 drives. Heck, some on this forum say that the new 2GB/s NVME drives aren't noticeably faster.

Warranty and RMA procedure are differentiating factors that I care about. Having said that there are frequently 480GB drives selling for £80 that I would buy in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom