Is the iPhone SE a 7 day wonder?

Suspended
As my title suggests is the popularity of the SE likely to be very short lived? The reason I ask the question is because I've never seen so many almost brand new iPhone's for sale second hand on the High Street. You know the shops - used tablets phones and consoles etc.

I often have a browse simply to see how second hand prices are holding up. What struck me immediately was just how many iPhone SE's each store had in, many tied to the likes of 02 EE etc.

I spoke to one of the retailers to ask him why they had so many. The reason he gave was that consumers thought they wanted to go back to a smaller version of the iPhone but quickly realised how they had become used to a larger screen and found going back to a smaller one was wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

He also said that they weren't giving the best prices either as they themselves are unsure how they will sell.

Suspended
OP
They are still in short supply 2-3 week wait on some versions.
Best thing they could have done people are going back in droves to the 4".

Yes that may be the case but my question is - having gone back to them are they keeping them in droves or are they being sold on in droves?

You don't need to make this into some sort of vendetta, I was simply posing the question as the amount I was seeing in these second hand stores was quite noticeable. BTW the ones I saw were around the £390 £410 mark.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes that may be the case but my question is - having gone back to them are they keeping them in droves or are they being sold on in droves?

You don't need to make this into some sort of vendetta, I was simply posing the question as the amount I was seeing in these second hand stores was quite noticeable. BTW the ones I saw were around the £390 £410 mark.

Drove off :p

Soldato
Not the case now - but the CEX near me at launch week(s) offered £500 for a boxed SE and sold for £619 - and they were selling too - so I guess lots jumped on the easy cash train.

Soldato
Whereas those with some common sense buy the iPhone upfront on a 0% for twenty something month credit card and get a sim-only plan, saving hundreds. Plus they can flip network whenever they like as it's unlocked...

Caporegime
Madness because ultimately they're left with an old handset. I didn't even think the phone was yours to sell. :eek:

It's not a hire purchase arrangement so they can be sold straight away. Never claimed it was a great idea, but as D3K wrote - people do it for short term cash flow reasons.

Back
Top Bottom