Good SSD recommendations

Associate
I've bought a bunch of cheap SSDs and made 4-way RAID-0 - I hit nearly 2GB/s sequential so it's perfect for loading games quickly ;)
4-way raid-0 means it's 4 times more likely to fail, but it's backed up and worst case I can redownload the games from steam.

Associate
OP
I've bought a bunch of cheap SSDs and made 4-way RAID-0 - I hit nearly 2GB/s sequential so it's perfect for loading games quickly ;)
4-way raid-0 means it's 4 times more likely to fail, but it's backed up and worst case I can redownload the games from steam.

What are the size of the SSDs and what brand are they?

What would I have to do to achieve the same thing as you have done?

Associate
Hello, RAID0 from 4 SSD is not is not great idea...

From my test Intel RST in RAID 1 read from both disc at the same time = 2x speed one disk (like RAID 0) and write is with small penalty compare with single disk configuaration...
single disk read +- 500MB/s
single disk write +- 230MB/s

in RAID 1 read +- 980MB/s
in RAID 1 write +- 230MB/s

@Shingyboy if your MB support RAID and you need primary fast read then try RAID1...

Benchmarks RAID1 on page...

Caporegime
For those saying "there's no noticeable difference whatever SSD you buy"... I got the distinct impression from reading various reviews, that the newer budget TLC drives were slow as molasses... barely faster than a mechanical drive. As well as having much reduced lifetime (write-cycles).

Hence why everybody hates the BX200, when the MX and BX100 were widely recommended.

Soldato
For those saying "there's no noticeable difference whatever SSD you buy"... I got the distinct impression from reading various reviews, that the newer budget TLC drives were slow as molasses... barely faster than a mechanical drive. As well as having much reduced lifetime (write-cycles).

Hence why everybody hates the BX200, when the MX and BX100 were widely recommended.

I've steered well clear of crucial's BX200 because of the reviews I read.

Soldato
The reviews massively exaggerate the differences cause otherwise there would be nothing to talk about.

As viewed through the eyes of an enthusiast, Crucial's BX200 is not a very attractive option. It may be okay for gamers because it has excellent sequential read performance, but if you plan on transferring large chunks of data, or running moderate to heavy workloads, then this is not the drive for you. However, if you are a casual user, then the BX200 will serve you just fine - after all, it will give you a huge performance boost over a traditional HDD.

I am using a super budget Sandisk SSD that I bought for £26 last year. It is way faster than an HDD and not noticeably slower than my desktop with a samsung 830.

Caporegime
With 1TB SSDs becoming (more) affordable (but not quite in my budget yet), the question is whether you'd spend ~£120 on a TLC drive, or ~£150 on a MLC drive.

If you aren't going for the cheapest, smallest (£26!) SSD you can find, then it's probably worth paying the extra to get better reliability, better speed, better endurance, etc.

My first SSD was 128GB, the next 250GB, and it's still too small. I want to ditch my mechanical drive and go for a 1TB SSD. I sure as heck wouldn't be buying a TLC drive like the Crucial BX after all the terrible reviews.

Of course you can't argue with £26 for a small drive! But generally I try to avoid buying poor technology. It only encourages them to make more poor technology, cutting corners, degrading performance, to make the cheapest product they can. It's called a race to the bottom.

APM

APM

Associate
I'm kicking myself I got the SanDisk Ultra 480GB one,moving any files larger than 4GB to it and it really slows down.
Wish I'd gone a few more quid for a Samsung or anything not TLC now.

Soldato
I just bought a Samsung 850 EVO as my w10 OS has had a catastrophic failure so took the opportunity to go up to a 500GB. This is tlc as I understand but the performance figures seem pretty good and it swayed me from perhaps the slightly better OCZ Arc 100 since Samsung have put the 5 year warranty behind it.

I run a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro in my main PC as the main drive, split into 2 partition (Win7 + 10).

I also run a 1TB Samsung 840 (I think, might be 850) EVO for games, then a 3TB Seagate 3TB for storage.

I also run SSDs in both laptops, my work PC (which I have no control over) runs on a spinning disk and is noticeably slower, despite being newer than my personal machines.

Associate
Get one of these.

I've installed a few of these for friends their fast and you can use the magician software to clone your existing drive saving you the need to reinstall the o.s.

Then you could format your original SSD and stick it in as a second drive.
It's time for me to upgrade Win7 to Win10. I've got a 128GB SSD. I need reliability for work. I'm thinking of getting a new SSD (Sam 850 evo 500GB).

Would the best method be:
Use the Data Migration Software to copy my Win 7 to the new SSD, then boot that, and upgrade that to Win 10?
That way I still have my old Win 7 should I hit problems.
and I (hopefully?) get a Win10 install that already has my software loaded.

I assume it's fine that the new SSD will be larger, I won't lose any space due to cloning a smaller drive?

Thanks

It's time for me to upgrade Win7 to Win10. I've got a 128GB SSD. I need reliability for work. I'm thinking of getting a new SSD (Sam 850 evo 500GB).

Would the best method be:
Use the Data Migration Software to copy my Win 7 to the new SSD, then boot that, and upgrade that to Win 10?
That way I still have my old Win 7 should I hit problems.
and I (hopefully?) get a Win10 install that already has my software loaded.

I assume it's fine that the new SSD will be larger, I won't lose any space due to cloning a smaller drive?

Thanks

Personally I would put the new SSD in and install Windows 10 using your Windows 7 key, then reinstall all of your programs and copy your personal files over.

It will take more time, but you will have a cleaner running system.

Associate
Thanks for the reply.
Personally I would put the new SSD in and install Windows 10 using your Windows 7 key
Can I do that even without ever having upgraded before (ie, does a fresh Win 7 key work)?

then reinstall all of your programs and copy your personal files over.

It will take more time, but you will have a cleaner running system.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that :) I've got so much I need installed, the thought of doing it all fresh is not pleasant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom