• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s Broadwell-E Flagship Core i7-6950X Processor Confirmed – 10 Core Madness For X99 Enthusiast

Soldato
So in effect, aside from the minor expected performance bump, the 10-core processor is a more expensive addition to the lineup as opposed to adding cores across the range at the same price point.

Doesn't make the upgrade worth it from any perspective really, but that's not really who they're aiming at.

Soldato
So in effect, aside from the minor expected performance bump, the 10-core processor is a more expensive addition to the lineup as opposed to adding cores across the range at the same price point.

Doesn't make the upgrade worth it from any perspective really, but that's not really who they're aiming at.

I'll eat my hat if Intel drop the price of the two hex cores and the octo core below the current level of pricing by much especially at the hex core end....

I have posted about this before but look at it from Intel's point of view if the 6700k sells for just under £300 in the uk then the 6800k (entry level broadwell-e hex - think 5820k replacement) will cost at least £330-350. Given that there are still two hex cores in the broadwell-e lineup the 6850k (think 5930k replacement) will almost certainly be differentiated from the 6800k by a circa 200mhz stock clock difference and full vs reduced pci-e lane count (ala 5820k/28 lanes vs 5930k/40 lanes) otherwise there will not be enough difference between the hex cores to make it worth it as Intel know that both the 6800k and 6850k will overclock on average to similar levels (like the 5820k and 5930k do)

Therefore it's reasonable to expect that the 6850k will cost similar money or a bit more than the 5930k does now... Say circa £500. Now if Intel were to release the deca core CPU at the same price point as the 5960x at about £800-900 that does not leave that much space to squeeze in the octo core broadwell-e CPU between the deca core and the upper level hex.

Until Zen comes out Intel have no chance of competition at this level and no incentive to drop prices. The four sku broadwell lineup over the three sku haswell-e lineup is a clear indication I believe that Intel do intend to insert a new Premium price point for there incoming deca core CPU. Its supply is likely to be quite limited and Intel know that some people will still buy it at £1200+.....

Last edited:
Associate
I had a 5820k system last year then sold it. Will be buying another one in September. I predominantly use it for gaming - racing sims. Would you recommend the 6700k with 4 cores or the 5820k with 6 cores? Genuinely a bit confused.

Soldato
I had a 5820k system last year then sold it. Will be buying another one in September. I predominantly use it for gaming - racing sims. Would you recommend the 6700k with 4 cores or the 5820k with 6 cores? Genuinely a bit confused.

Who are you asking? You should probably make your own thread in General Hardware to ask a question like this.

As I'm replying anyway... it depends on the GPU(s) you've got and the screen res, but assuming the 980 Ti in your sig & eyefinity I'd say an i5-6600K would be the most sensible choice, at least from Project CARS CPU benchmarks.

P.S. read the FAQ about sig length.

Soldato

Kabylake (i.e 7700k) and more importantly the new '200' series motherboard chipset (supposed to be compatible with cannonlake cpu's) will be out by then or at around that time.

Compare those to x99/ broadwell-e setups if buying new (the haswell-e 5820k will be eol long before then) too early to say what to buy now...

Soldato

That was a bit silly..

Soldato
Well after just receiving our trade pricing for these cpus... Oh dear... :| Unfortunately I cannot elaborate but people are in for a shock at the price of the top daddy 10 core.. :eek:

Soldato
Well after just receiving our trade pricing for these cpus... Oh dear... :| Unfortunately I cannot elaborate but people are in for a shock at the price of the top daddy 10 core.. :eek:

Um, people already have dire expectations that it's going to be in the £900-£1000 mark. Maybe even top £1000 though I hope not. If it's enough to shock us when we already expect it to be hideously expensive, I'm really afraid to ask.

Soldato
Um, people already have dire expectations that it's going to be in the £900-£1000 mark. Maybe even top £1000 though I hope not. If it's enough to shock us when we already expect it to be hideously expensive, I'm really afraid to ask.

Well the only market for these 10 core CPU's are content creators of businesses etc - they are of absolutely no use for gaming etc, as quad cores still get the job done and usually clock higher etc.

Businesses/top content creators can afford £1500 for a CPU that will save them hours on rendering, editing times etc.

Soldato
Well the only market for these 10 core CPU's are content creators of businesses etc - they are of absolutely no use for gaming etc, as quad cores still get the job done and usually clock higher etc.

Businesses/top content creators can afford £1500 for a CPU that will save them hours on rendering, editing times etc.

Okay, well if it's pro-targeted, then I agree. I mistook this, I thought it was going to be a successor to things like the i7-5960K which gets marketed to non-Pros.

Soldato

LOL... You should be if £900-1000 is most peoples expectations.

I liken it to the Xeon E5-1680v3... It didn't sell because it was silly expensive... Doesn't look like someone has paid attention.. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I am thinking about getting a Intel 10 Core Xeon E5-2630 v4 or a 2640. Dont know if they will work in a X99 PC with none ECC RAM, if they do then might be able to set 125 strap with some fast RAM for a bit of a clockspeed boost.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL... You should be if £900-1000 is most peoples expectations.

I liken it to the Xeon E5-1680v3... It didn't sell because it was silly expensive... Doesn't look like someone has paid attention.. :rolleyes:

Like Dave pointed out, it seems like I had my CPU lines mixed up. I thought this was going to be a successor to the 5960 which is eight-core and currently at around £800. So I figured £900+ would probably be this chip. Seems I'm way off the mark. :D

Soldato
Like Dave pointed out, it seems like I had my CPU lines mixed up. I thought this was going to be a successor to the 5960 which is eight-core and currently at around £800. So I figured £900+ would probably be this chip. Seems I'm way off the mark. :D

Yeah I understand. In the past Intel have always has their flagship Extreme cpu at $999 but there is a new tier in the pricing structure... and its a high one.. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom