HTC Vive

Soldato
Hmm; anyone had to update their base stations? Was unable to update wirelessly and connected the first via USB but it’s now been stuck updating for over 10 minutes with a warning not to unplug in case it renders the BS unusable!

Keep us posted of your experience, youre the first I've heard of getting an up date personally.

Soldato
There are numerous VR video players as well as Virtual Desktop which support 3D SBS. The resolution and SDE means it's still not quite good enough for watching media though IMO.

Soldato
Keep us posted of your experience, youre the first I've heard of getting an up date personally.
Something has definitely gone awry. Yesterday I launched and played ED for around an hour without any issue at all. Then decided to do something which needed the controllers, it would show tracking of the controllers within the headset but the instant I would press the system button it would instantly lose tracking. It would then complain it required an update to the base stations and hinted at bluetooth connectivity issues etc. Anyway after various rounds of it not updating I gave up with it.

I'll try a reinstall later.

Associate
Just tried the big screen update and loved it so much. I was watching jurassic park and one of the other guys in the room loaded his up and synced it to the same time. Such a great experience.

Soldato
So just got an email from TNT saying they have been requested to ship a consignment from dynafix to me. Goes today. I sent it on Friday and it got there Monday.

Fast turnaround, but are they actually just shipping me back my hmd unfixed? Apparently some peeps have had this happen. I have no email telling me what they have done.

Soldato
Here is some interesting news. I received an email from TNT about a shipment going to me. It had a guys email address from dynafix added to it. I emailed him and asked what was the status update? He said the unit had been swapped and I was given the new serial number.

No idea if its a new one or a refurb. But tbh I doubt dynafix are doing refurbs at the moment. But either way at least I'm not getting the same one back. Find out soon I guess.

Soldato
Another email from dynafix. The replacement is a new unit from HTC.

So if this one comes in with no issues, I would say the HTC support has been the best experience I have had with any company.

Soldato
Have you still got the joystick plugged in from playing Elite (assuming you use one)?
Causes all sorts of problems with the hand held motion trackers if I don't unplug the joystick on mine.
I use a wired 360 controller and set-up has remained unchanged throughout. So re-installation has not fixed the issue. Can calibrate room without issue but as soon as I hit the system button the headset drops tracking. Hmmmmmmm; the only difference was a Nvidia driver update - 368.22 (23/05/2016). I guess I should roll back the drivers and test.

Associate
I read about a way to play Rift games on the Vive, how well does it work?

It's called Revive
I haven't yet got anything to run on it but haven't spent any time tweaking stuff like DLL injections (or whatever needs doing) as I have a DK2 to actually play those games.

Don't buy anything on the basis of being able to play them currently as there may be an onging war between revive and oculus with patches etc blocking the hack.

Soldato
I read about a way to play Rift games on the Vive, how well does it work?

It was great, currently fairly broken due to the headset DRM Oculus implemented to combat it.

The Revive developer is working on getting it going again, but I'd expect a game of cat and mouse to continue. Probably better just waiting to see if the current Rift-only games eventually get Vive support, there's honestly not that much worth playing that is exclusive anyway.

Soldato
Worked it out. I swapped out my PSU last week and had rejigged my USB connections and plugged the Vive into USB3 port.

Having the camera enabled and running at 60Hz caused all kinds of weirdness as soon as I opened up the dashboard where the camera is enabled in window view to include:
Bluetooth connectivity/driver issues.
Loss of tracking on headset and controllers.
Base stations refusing to respond (wake up or go into sleep mode).

Reducing the camera refresh rate to 30Hz prevents all of the above events when using USB3.

Well that was annoying!

Soldato
Can't you just use a USB 2.0 port? It does say in the settings that reducing the camera frequency is one of the main cures for tracking issues.

Luckily mine runs quite happily at 60Hz and off a USB 3.0 port.

Soldato
Well tracking issues is one thing; however I would not expect that having the camera enabled @ 60Hz and the Vive connected via USB3 would instantly break connectivity across the board! The Bluetooth connectivity would instantly break with the base stations which would require a power cycle before working again.

Now then; it seems things are not completely fixed as the base stations are not going to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom