Steam two step authentication works!

Caporegime
Just received an email advising me someone in the U.S. Just tried to access my Steam account with the correct username and password. Even that itself is mildly concerning but thanks to steam's two step authentication I've just reset my password so whoever this joker is, he (or she) can jog on!:D

If you don't have it, set it up. I don't have any steam funds in my steam wallet but I do have around fifty games. Not sure what they could have done other than, perhaps, cheat in some games and get me banned though?

Soldato
Yes steam guard is pretty much mandatory but if you want to trade on the market then you also need steam mobile authentication as well.

I have mobile authentication on, but do wonder what would happen if I had my phone stolen or lost, as without it I can't log into Steam on another machine...

Soldato
Yes steam guard is pretty much mandatory but if you want to trade on the market then you also need steam mobile authentication as well.

I have mobile authentication on, but do wonder what would happen if I had my phone stolen or lost, as without it I can't log into Steam on another machine...

^ this I removed my phone as you have pointed out if you lose your phone you are completely messed up. I don't fancy losing 700+ games. I hate the whole phone for trading thing too as I want to sell my trading cards but just to much effort now.

Soldato
^ this I removed my phone as you have pointed out if you lose your phone you are completely messed up. I don't fancy losing 700+ games. I hate the whole phone for trading thing too as I want to sell my trading cards but just to much effort now.

that is a bit worrying. So no way to recover if the phone is stolen? I only have it on so as I can trade trading cards or sell or buy on the market.

Associate

They give you a recovery code when you first set it up in case theft or loss etc.

Caporegime
And if you didn't make a note of your recovery code initially, you can go back in to Steam and request a new one right now. :p

Hang on, I better check.

Yes, there is an option in settings "Get Backup Codes"

Soldato
I can't stand the fact they try to push the Steam phone app for authentication.

I hate mobile phones, small pieces of crap, great outside, but when I'm sitting at my PC I have no intention of grabbing a tiny phone as opposed to my triple screen PC setup.

Very annoying they discourage email for 2 step auth and want to use the mobile authenticator. I've gone as far as installing teamviewer on my phone and doing phone crap from pc.

Associate
If you lost your phone, then you would have to most likely contact customer services and they might ask for identification to be scanned and sent to them. i doubt they would or can keep you out of your steam accounts you spend money on.

Back
Top Bottom