Extra Load tyres vs Normal

Soldato
I am about to purchase a set of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance for my MK3 Mondeo & noticed they do a re-inforced/extra load version for only £10 more each.

It has always bugged me how squishy the fronts feel but I have never gone with another tyre as these are quiet & it grips well in the wet. Another issue is the car eats the inner edge of these tyres on the front presumably as they are a bit squishy/have sidewalls made of cheese.

Will a reinforced (94 as opposed to 91 load rating) fare any better? What are the bad points to using them?

Soldato
They're designed around heavier cars/vehicles so they'll feel like you've fitted stiffer suspension but now much stiffer I've no idea.

Inner edge wear, that's usually a toe and/or camber issue so check the geometry before looking at the tyres themselves. My Mk3 tyres didn't wear at all until I knocked the tracking out on a pot hole and the camber adjuster couldn't bring it back enough.

Soldato
OP
The suspension is fine, was last checked 2 months ago, it's always destroyed these particular tyres but I don't want to change them as they grip nice in the wet and are quiet.

They always look under inflated on the front, even if I over inflate them.

I just don't want XL tyres to either make more noise, reduce grip or make it feel like I've fitted poly bushes.

Soldato
XL are a bit noisier, have more rolling resistance and are a bit harder ride. But they are more durable and will last longer. XL is recommended for performance cars and is usually the only option on them.

But if the front feels to spongy that will probably be the type of tyre your using. Efficient grip are a budget tyre. You need something like Eagle F1s if you want to improve the handling and feel (but they won't be quite as quiet).

Un-even wear normally means the tracking is off, should get it checked/corrected about once a year. The tyres will last a lot longer if it's aligned properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But if the front feels to spongy that will probably be the type of tyre your using. Efficient grip are a budget tyre. You need something like Eagle F1s if you want to improve the handling and feel (but they won't be quite as quiet).

Un-even wear normally means the tracking is off, should get it checked/corrected about once a year. The tyres will last a lot longer if it's aligned properly.

Those tyres are not available in my size, goodyear only sell Vector's & Efficient Grip, that is it.

And the tracking is perfect, I had it 4 wheel aligned 12 months ago and last week I took it in for a check as I am planning on ordering tyres and they said there was nothing to change.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I have an old (03) Volvo V70 T5 that was originally shod with 225x45xr17 91 rated tyres. The fronts always looked under inflated. I 2 buckled wheels and 3 front punctures (over several years) as a result of hitting pot holes. I moved to 94 rated tyres and it feels much much better and no problems. (possibly the car should have come with 94 rated tyres in the first place, I don't know).

Soldato
Those tyres are not available in my size, goodyear only sell Vector's & Efficient Grip, that is it.

And the tracking is perfect, I had it 4 wheel aligned 12 months ago and last week I took it in for a check as I am planning on ordering tyres and they said there was nothing to change.

Goodyear is the only tyre company in the world that makes tyres for your car??

Nasher said something "like" F1's, there are other tyre companys making tyres "like" F1's you can buy for a bit better handling

Caporegime
XL can run higher pressure and hence higher load. It makes no difference if you run both normal and XL at same pressure

The trade off is they are heavier and noisier due to the extra steel cords

Soldato

This sounds a bit like how I was with my Focus. 205/55/R16 and thought I was stuck with EfficientGrip Performance's as the best tyre for that size, even though the sidewalls are soft as butter.

Try Yokohama V105's. Better in every way, bar maybe noise, but to be honest wind noise was louder than tyre noise in my car.

Soldato
XL can run higher pressure and hence higher load. It makes no difference if you run both normal and XL at same pressure

The trade off is they are heavier and noisier due to the extra steel cords

The other downside people don't realise is the load carrying capacity below roughly 2.6 bar is lower on an XL tyre than a normal tyre of the same rating. So they really need to have higher pressure to see any benefit.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The other downside people don't realise is the load carrying capacity below roughly 2.6 bar is lower on an XL tyre than a normal tyre of the same rating. So they really need to have higher pressure to see any benefit.
I've always run XL tyres 0.1bar higher than the non-XL rating specified on the car. Not sure if this matters at all though.
Either way, I rock the pressures up to max when I've got the family and luggage in tow on long trips anyway.

Soldato
OP
Goodyear is the only tyre company in the world that makes tyres for your car??

No, but I am anal about having matching tyres all around, if I switch the fronts to something new I won't be happy unless I change the rears to match.

Soldato
My 10 reg Focus came with XL tyres and it is specified in Handbook for all size rims - I have 225/40/18 standard Ford fit and also have some 205/50/16 steels for winter.

My worry is if you have a accident the insurance might refuse your claim if they are not XL.

I also find they are horrendously noisy, but good when you hit a pothole - Of the two wheel sizes I much prefer the feel of 16" wheels.

Caporegime
I replaced a full set of EfficientGrip performances recently, they were excellent, wore well, lots of grip, but as OP said they always looked underinflated and I could feel how squishy they were!

Have some Michelin Pilot Primacy's now, and while they don't seem to be as good for grip, they are at least a bit firmer... Don't know why the GY's are so soft really.

Vredestein Ultrac Satins are supposed to be really quite good, and have stiff sidewalls. Might be worth a look.

Soldato
I need some new rear tyres for my Accord and looking at Goodyear Asy 3 noticed that 91Y rated tyres have a fuel efficiency rating of E whereas the 94Y have a lower rating of C.

Noise is the same 68dB for both and in terms of price, the difference is the XLs are a fiver more each.

So would that extra tenner be better off in my pocket or not? Or am I over thinking things :D

Soldato
Decided to go with the XL tyres from F1 AutoCenter as they had today reduced the tyres? from £81.90 to £78.60 fitted.

Have tyre prices come down of recent as I'm sure I used to pay around £116 a corner before?

EDIT: Just realised that prices mean nothing without size, 225/45/17/W but I went with 94Y in the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom