DK2 vs CV1

Soldato
Hi guys yesterday I tried my mates HTC Vive and was pretty impressed, but noticed that things were still quite blocky after getting over the wow factor.

Anyway I would like to buy a headset for my racing sims mainly and I dont really need the walking around feature as I am in a wheelchair. So I am thinking about getting a 2nd hand DK2 over the CV1 to keep the cost right down. I guess what bothers me more is the blockyness, also if I get a DK2 is the res much different then the vive or the CV1 and will I be able to get most sim games running on the DK2? Thanks

Associate
Hi guys yesterday I tried my mates HTC Vive and was pretty impressed, but noticed that things were still quite blocky after getting over the wow factor.

Anyway I would like to buy a headset for my racing sims mainly and I dont really need the walking around feature as I am in a wheelchair. So I am thinking about getting a 2nd hand DK2 over the CV1 to keep the cost right down. I guess what bothers me more is the blockyness, also if I get a DK2 is the res much different then the vive or the CV1 and will I be able to get most sim games running on the DK2? Thanks

I think the resolution on the CV1 is better. I'm getting my Oculus Rift on Monday or Tuesday and will have my brother test it (he is also on a wheelchair) and tell you what he thinks (comfort etc).

Soldato
I think the resolution on the CV1 is better. I'm getting my Oculus Rift on Monday or Tuesday and will have my brother test it (he is also on a wheelchair) and tell you what he thinks (comfort etc).

Resolutions the same, rift has slightly better sde due to different lenses/pixel layout. If your looking for the sitdown experience (no pun intended) then get a cv1, dk2 has worse res and very pronounced sde.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the clarity on the CV1 is much better than the DK2. However the CV1 and Vive1 are extremely similar to each other.

You might want to hold off till January, for CES, just to make sure neither company is planning a refresh of their devices.

I personally doubt we'll see a substantial 'model 2' of either headset until at least the end of 2017, and more likely 2018. But Valve have been showing off updated controllers and lighthouse tracking boxes, and a better headstrap has been seen.

So it's plausible there'll be a refreshed Vive1.5 next year, with better comfort, controllers, and possibly reduced price.

Soldato
OP
So it looks like the CV1 is better then the DK2 in picture quality, I might hold off buying a headset, as I havent £300-£400 for the CV1 and I guess I will be disapointed with the DK2 if I bought one, after trying out the Vive. Thanks guys

Will be intrested to know,, also I had my mate to put the Vive headset on for me, incrase I dropped it or anything. So I would like to know if you can put the sets on easliy with 1 hand as my left hand is kind of rubbish?

Associate
So it looks like the CV1 is better then the DK2 in picture quality, I might hold off buying a headset, as I havent £300-£400 for the CV1 and I guess I will be disapointed with the DK2 if I bought one, after trying out the Vive. Thanks guys

Will be intrested to know,, also I had my mate to put the Vive headset on for me, incrase I dropped it or anything. So I would like to know if you can put the sets on easliy with 1 hand as my left hand is kind of rubbish?

My brothers left hand (fingers mostly) are kind of rubbish aswell, stiff and hard to coordinate (but he can type etc) just not do very detailed stuff with it. I will give you an overview on his feel this week.

Associate
Hey mate, so my brother tested it out.

Here is a few pointers and how we did it.

1. I took the Rift out the box and connected to the PC. You might need someone to do that for you and just leave it connected as you need access to the back of the PC (HDMI connection and USB port for the rift).

I did a small briefing so it doesn't take us much time to setup , get use to everything envolved.

2. Put it on the table next to the mouse and explained about the controllers (both the navigational one and Xbox one controller that are included in the package).

3. Explained how the straps work and how you can tilt the screen (general head and eye placements). Told him to open the straps up so it can be easier to place on his head.

4. He wears glasses (but not contact lenses) so he took them off and we started the setup. BTW he has very high myopia on the left eye.

5. Setup went fine and we basically had him stay seated even though says clear the area and stand up. You might want to be sitting on your wheelchair though for some games if you want to get the rift controllers. I personally setup the RIFT seated aswell and tracking is just fine. Setup takes 1 minute or less to setup for standing if you somehow can (so no biggie anyway).

6. He put on the headset and started to get a feel of what was going on, it took him roughly 30 seconds to a minute to get a feel how the straps work/setup and get the right view even though I had explained earlier. He used his right hand for the left strap and also fiddled with the wire placement a little.

7. He did the demo and then it entered the Oculus home automatically. He got a feel for that (I personally feel it can be better, so does he) but you get use to it after messing around a little. Then we ran a few games like Mountain Goat, Farlands, Luckys Tale, Elite Dangerous then Project Cars.

He was amazed how better the Rift is then what he was expecting.

Elite Dangerous amazed him, also he is pretty good with the Xbox controller even though he is **** (in general). It also helped immensly when playing Elite Dangerous vs what he felt when he first played it with keyboard+mouse combo and he did pretty well with Project cars (although he is very very bad at race sims).

All in all he said its a great experience and it was relatively easy to put on your head and setup the straps/view etc.
He can basically use it by himself but mentioned again how he would need something for his myopia (mostly left eye he has 4.0 or something like that) so he can rock some Elite Dangerous easier :).

He placed the headset back where he got it from..

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that post, most appreciated, I just wish the Rift wasnt so expensive, but saying that, have any of you guys heard of the windows 10 vr thats out somtime next yr?

A resolution of 1440x1440 per eye. CPU wise the headsets will require a 4-thread mobile i5 CPU at a minimum and will require a DirectX12 compatible GPU and a lower price tag then the Rift. But its not a gaming headset, what ever that means?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for that post, most appreciated, I just wish the Rift wasnt so expensive, but saying that, have any of you guys heard of the windows 10 vr thats out somtime next yr?

A resolution of 1440x1440 per eye. CPU wise the headsets will require a 4-thread mobile i5 CPU at a minimum and will require a DirectX12 compatible GPU and a lower price tag then the Rift. But its not a gaming headset, what ever that means?

Looking at the minimum specs my guess it's not "exactly" in the same territory of the Rift/Vive although it has a better resolution.

Don
I think these new Windows 10 VR headsets are what I would call VR Viewers. They are for watching 360 degree video and largely passive shows. It's unclear at the moment whether any of them have spacial tracking yet (which is the main difference between the Rift/Vive/PSVR and the mobile VR solutions).

Back
Top Bottom