People Who Moved from Windows to MacOS. How was it?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Thanks for the link.

I've also updated the sticky with the keyboard shortcut for "Cut" as this is one I know switchers struggle with :)

Permabanned
What are you trying to do that isn't intuitive? Genuine question.

One thing I wish OS X had was the ability to snap Windows side by side. Find myself using Mission Control and switching back and forth whereas in Windows I'd just snap them next to each other.

Suspect that after 20 years of Windows use a lot of things are just second nature and I find myself googling how to do simple tasks on a Mac. Quite frustrating and I find the claims its "intuitive" to be wide of the mark.

Soldato
For those who have issues with Finder vs Explorer, what is it you're doing that makes you say Explorer is more powerful etc? Genuine question! I'm far from a power user, so nothing more than a few copy&pastes here and there, so doing this and window navigation seems on-par. I'm curious what usages make Explorer better/Finder lacking.

Associate
I find OSX horrendous.

Window management is rubbish - Windows is much more straight forward.

Window snapping is rubbish compared to Windows 10.

Finder is dreadful - It is like using an early version of a Linux UI.

Every few months OSX thinks that I have forgotten my password - oddly enough every place else I use that password never complains. Clearly I am wrong.

Apple Key chain rubbish randomly prompts for my password. Entering my password usually doesn't work(silly me and passwords) so I have to press Cancel 100-200 times before it ****s off! This is the main reason why I have given up on using my Macbook(except when I am travelling and have no choice).

I find the UI has a lot of stutter compared to Windows.

I could go on but it is making my blood boil.

Needless to say I won't be buying another Macbook - well unless it comes with Windows as standard.

Associate
OP
I find OSX horrendous.

Window management is rubbish - Windows is much more straight forward.

Window snapping is rubbish compared to Windows 10.

Finder is dreadful - It is like using an early version of a Linux UI.

Every few months OSX thinks that I have forgotten my password - oddly enough every place else I use that password never complains. Clearly I am wrong.

Apple Key chain rubbish randomly prompts for my password. Entering my password usually doesn't work(silly me and passwords) so I have to press Cancel 100-200 times before it ****s off! This is the main reason why I have given up on using my Macbook(except when I am travelling and have no choice).

I find the UI has a lot of stutter compared to Windows.

I could go on but it is making my blood boil.

Needless to say I won't be buying another Macbook - well unless it comes with Windows as standard.

Currently my 2nd day with macOS and I can definitely agree that windows management is horrible. It doesn't make sense. You cant snap easily, to fullscreen you lose your menu bar, clicking the red x doesnt always quit, windows are separate to apps and minimising also depends on how the app deals with it. It. Is. Horrible.

EDIT: And also the dock shows everything that is open on different desktops.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Currently my 2nd day with macOS and I can definitely agree that windows management is horrible. It doesn't make sense. You cant snap easily, to fullscreen you lose your menu bar, clicking the red x doesnt always quit, windows are separate to apps and minimising also depends on how the app deals with it. It. Is. Horrible.

Get BetterSnapTool.

Soldato

That little green button is totally useless and they made it even moreso when they changed it to go fullscreen. If you hold alt it changes its behaviour to the original. Which still isn't great. Or double click the header like in windows, this may be set to minimise by default but I'm pretty sure the default changes to maximise window.

Best bet it to get BetterSnapTool and set that up.

I use OS X for work and pleasure. Personally find it works better for me than windows. It isn't perfect but I find the workflow and way everything works much better. Also, column view in Finder. Love it.

If people have problems with Finder give Path-Finder a go. Very good and highly customisable.

The greatest unsung hero is Disk Utility. Not as powerful as it once was but it's still awesome.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a mac mini, just put macOS on it. I only use it for Xcode and Xamarin stuff and for some things its easier than Windows but for other things it’s like using Linux (I don’t like using the terminal:(). Hard to believe how often it needs the password entering.

Associate
Use Mac at work, Mac for most things at home. I have a Windows gaming desktop at home which I only turn on for games, shut down almost immediately after.

For productivity, development, sysadmin, stability I really can't fault macOS.

+1 for BetterSnapTool as well. Also, FWIW if you Alt + click the green button, it'll not enter the fullscreen mode but rather maximise the window size (this will be the full screen-estate or default max size for app/website/et).

Man of Honour
One thing I really like about macOS is installing a program. You download the dmg, mount it, install it be it drag into Applications or follow the usual next, next finish, then when it's done it asks if you want to delete the downloaded dmg.

Most Windows installers self extract into some temp directory which quite often is not cleaned out (hello NVidia drivers!) so you can end up with GBs of wasted usage.

Associate
I always find it amusing talking to people that use OSX. Tell them window management/snapping is poor and they agree - but they have bought an application and that fixes it.
Same with Finder and the awful default Terminal etc and they have them all replaced.

So they actually agree that the OS as shipped isn't great but they can turn it into what they want... which is completely against the general perception that Apple products just work.

Anyway off to reset my password... seems I just cannot type on my Mac keyboard!! Maybe I should set it to password... I might remember that.

Caporegime
Did the move about 5 years ago from Windows 7 and definitely prefer Mac OS for personal use and Windows for office use.

Mac OS really shines when you're within the Apple ecosystem so everything just syncs between all your products, admittedly there is probably something out there which does it across diff OS and devices but I'm not clued up on that front.

Pretty much this.

OSX/MacOS for consumption/browsing and syncing with other Apple products and Windows for work. Part of it's because of Finder and the way Apple like to hide a lot of files away from you but it's also (IMO) to do with the overall interface. Windows is just better for productivity, while MacBooks are great for having multiple windows and desktops open for browsing the web and consuming content.

It doesn't take very long to get the basics of OSX.

Caporegime
One thing I really like about macOS is installing a program. You download the dmg, mount it, install it be it drag into Applications or follow the usual next, next finish, then when it's done it asks if you want to delete the downloaded dmg.

Most Windows installers self extract into some temp directory which quite often is not cleaned out (hello NVidia drivers!) so you can end up with GBs of wasted usage.

I assume there must be a setting somewhere as I have never had that happen. In fact what usually happens is a week later I notice the dmg is still mounted from the install and that's when I finally get round to unmounting it and deleting the downloaded file.:o

And

And

Associate
I've used macs for 20 years and built PCs for 15 years. For design work I prefer the Mac workflow as all the OS shortcuts match the software (PS/QuarkExpress) and the colour handling was better. Still use a Mac laptop for my photography, but PC for games and work.

Commissario
I don't understand all the hate for Finder. All I hear is people complaining about Finder, saying how rubbish it is. It's a tool for file management, it does what it says, if I need to copy/move files, I can do it. If I need to delete files, I can do it. What else does one do in Finder that makes it so dreadful?

I'm not being fanboyish, I'm not trolling for reactions. I genuinely don't know what the problem is with Finder.

I don't work any apps fullscreen, I never use the traffic light buttons in applications. If want to resize a window, I grab the edge and resize it. I've never ever snapped any windows anywhere in either Windows or OS X.

I used Windows at work (I've been using Windows quite literally since it was invented) and for the last seven years I've been using OS X at home. I know which one I prefer and it's not Windows!

I notice someone has mentioned "the awful default Terminal". How can a terminal be awful? It's a way to access the CLI, it does exactly what it's supposed to!

Associate
I had a MBP as my work laptop for 3 years, I hated it and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

While I'm sure it's great for home use especially for those not so used to Windows as I am.

I found MS Office apps especially bad on Mac, of course I was expecting Microsoft to gimp it but I never expected it to be just so incredibly slow with major features missing as it was.

While of course there are alternatives that are perfectly fine on Mac, the fact remains in the corporate world at least MS Office rules supreme.

Back
Top Bottom