What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Westworld (1973)

Really enjoyed it. One that I'd never heard of until the recent buzz about the TV programme. Liked the concept and the way it was done with dry humour. I can see so many films that lifted ideas from it too.

8/10

Soldato
Star Trek Beyond - 7/10 - I'm not a huge Trek fan and didn't really rate the first 2 that highly TBH but I quite liked this one despite it being "more of the same". The acting was good enough that nothing "bad" stood out but it wasn't amazing either, the story was OK if a little too much "McGuffin-ish" in two main places and the CGI was, as expected now, top notch but I was more surprised by the direction and think Lin did a very good job of continuing the world left by JJ Abrams.

Salt (Directors Cut) - 6/10 - Strangely for a DC I actually preferred the Theatrical Release to this as the DC has slightly different ending as well as numerous unneeded scenes added. The main draw is that this is Unrated as opposed to PG-12A so the blood and gore are back as CGI enhancements which, again, don't really add anything other than in one very crucial scene. Still a good film but I don't feel this version added enough to warrant a release. The Extended Version has a completely different ending than either the DC or Theatre Release and I can see why that was released however.

Sausage Party - 3/10 - The best bits were in the trailer, the language becomes numbing after a few initial "they said what now??" laughs and it just becomes unfunny very quickly, HOWEVER, if I was to watch this drunk with a load of mates I'd probably find it much better.

Roadhouse - 8/10 - Still a fantastic classic with enough 80's clichés to make it feel really dated for a "B-Movie". Kelly Lynch is massively out of place for a small town doctor but the film doesn't suffer for it, Swayze and Sam Neill are fantastic but the story, such that it is, might as well be a recycled western with the Pale Rider cleaning up the town. Awesome soundtrack though, gotta love me some Jeff Healey Band!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Start Trek: Beyond - 3/5

Loved the first two of the reboot but this felt more like an extended episode of old Star Trek than a movie for some reason. It wasn't bad, I just didn't think it had the wow factor the previous two had.

Caporegime
All three Hobbit extended editions, one after the other. I was actually sad that it ended. Could have watched another! - 8/10

I never liked them the first time I saw them, probably due to the weird fps on the 3D version. It looked awful to me. Really enjoyed them this time around though, especially the third one. It's still no LotR though.

Soldato
The Big Short - 6/10.

I can see why people would enjoy this, but I didn't find it all that great. Fell asleep towards the end and had to re-watch it as a result! :(

Soldato
Sully

The story of Chesley Sullenberger, an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew. Really enjoyed this. Based on actual events like all the best movies are.

Soldato
Rob Roy

Watched it last night after hearing about it in this thread and it was superb. Excellent cast and performances all round (including Neeson at his peak, Roth playing an utter ****). The pacing was very good. If this film was made today it would probably have horrible shaky cam and editing losing the feel completely.

8/10

Soldato
Jack Ryan shadow Recruit.

Extremely slow for the first 40 minutes. Sticking with it beyond that, it's just an action play of generic sequences that you've seen before in a multitude of films and television shows.

Classy production, but very average. 5/10

Associate
Start Trek: Beyond - 3/5

Loved the first two of the reboot but this felt more like an extended episode of old Star Trek than a movie for some reason. It wasn't bad, I just didn't think it had the wow factor the previous two had.

Similar reaction here... I did enjoy it, and that feeling it was closer to the spirit of the original series was something of a positive for me. The 3D on BD was poor, with very little depth, or pop.

Last night we watched...

The Witch... hated it :( Misery, on top of more misery, with no tension or sense of horror. It was visually flat as well, like they forgot to grade the footage... I know it was deliberately 'muted' but it just lacked atmosphere visually for me. Rubbish ending too.

Performances were good... once I got over 'It's Finchy' .....4/10

Last edited:
Associate
Sully (2016) - 9/10

A well told and emotional true story of good luck, experience, and teamwork.

The story is amazing and although telling in a non-linear fashion is unnecessary, adds to the drama of the ordeal.

Interesting throughout with strong acting, it never over-dramatises the events and is a fitting tribute to all involved.

Back
Top Bottom