WD red pro clicking noise

Associate
Hey all just purchased a wd red pro 6tb. And transfering films and music to it and it keeps making a clicking noise the drive when reading and writing only had it over a week but only had the time to install it yesterday. Rang overclockers and the helpful chap said i could send it back and said its not normal to be making that noise. So glad that everything is on the other drives. Anybody else had this problem with the REDS

Associate
OP
Anybody tell me if its worth sticking with this drive its for HTPC which is upstairs which is used for plex server. With it having an i5 processor. So i can stream to the tv downstairs to my Pi 3. Or go with another drive don't trust the REDS now after only having this installed yesterday and making such a noise after a day. My 1tb Seagate drive working great after 2 years having this pc

Associate
You probably just got a bad drive. Any manufacturer can have a bad drive escape quality control. The reds are generally very good drives and are designed for NAS use.

Associate
OP
Yea using my HTPC as a server and for plex home theatre. If needed to transcode i have the power with my HTPC then i would with a NAS. Reason why im putting the reds in me HTPC

Associate
Hi nicknack35.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your WD Red Pro drive.

What I'd recommend is to try the HDD with a different SATA port and different SATA cables, to see if the problem still persists. You should also download DLG (Data Lifeguard) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), to see if there's anything out of the ordinary with the HDD - How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Associate
OP
Hi nicknack35.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your WD Red Pro drive.

What I'd recommend is to try the HDD with a different SATA port and different SATA cables, to see if the problem still persists. You should also download DLG (Data Lifeguard) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), to see if there's anything out of the ordinary with the HDD - How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Cheers for the Reply Boogie. I've managed to send the drive back. But thanks for the links i should recieve the new drive maybe over the weekend ill keep you updated on the next drive. Ill proberly order another to replace the seagate

Associate
Personally I trust the Red Pros more than I trust any other drive, although the HGST drives are broadly equivalent.

There is an "early failure" phenomenon that you see occasionally, but you see this with all drives. Basically, the drive either fails in a few days or doesn't fail for years.

Any important data you should really have some sort of redundancy on (I have two Red Pro 6TB drives in RAID1 on my Plex server)

Soldato
ALWAYS do a FULL format on any new Hard drive, hard drives are susceptible to shock damage during transit especially if not packaged properly (looking at YOU amazon!).
A quick format doesn't detect any damage/bad sectors, a FULL format does.

Back
Top Bottom