'Out of memory' issues when gaming - buy 2x8GB DDR3, or just two more 4GB?

Man of Honour
If that hardware reserve amount is indeed due to the onboard then moving to 16GB should help to offset that. Having that few extra 100MB tied up there is probably making the difference between having enough RAM and not - your available RAM is pretty close to what some more demanding games might utilise.

Soldato
The hardware reserved still appears a little high even for on-board graphics. Do you have on-board graphics set to reserve full amount of memory, I expect the full amount is 1 GB.

If your 4th screen is only used for 2D work I would be surprised if you even needed more then 512MB, thats unless it's like a modern 4k screen that will need the 1GB.

Soldato
OP
If that hardware reserve amount is indeed due to the onboard then moving to 16GB should help to offset that. Having that few extra 100MB tied up there is probably making the difference between having enough RAM and not - your available RAM is pretty close to what some more demanding games might utilise.

Cheers Rroff - hopefully once the extra RAM has arrived from OCUK these issues will disappear entirely!

The hardware reserved still appears a little high even for on-board graphics. Do you have on-board graphics set to reserve full amount of memory, I expect the full amount is 1 GB.

If your 4th screen is only used for 2D work I would be surprised if you even needed more then 512MB, thats unless it's like a modern 4k screen that will need the 1GB.

I honestly don't know how much it's set to - I'll check that out. It's very much not a modern screen! Pre-1080p even.

Soldato
You can dump task status to an excel file with following powershell, and then track changes and sort processes as you want

get-process | Select-Object Name, Id, PrivateMemorySize64,WorkingSet64,VirtualMemorySize64,PeakWorkingSet64 | Export-CSV test.txt

Back
Top Bottom