Crc Error Counts

Soldato
How serious are these?
I have 3x4tb drives in my htpc all showing MANY errors,no other errors just crc errors (may be caused by a faulty cable) it also says

Just swap cable?or are the drives fubar?

Man of Honour
Definitely something you want to look into - the most likely cause is some kind of interface fault i.e. cable.

If you are getting a lot of errors then its likely over time there is potential for data corruption and can be a symptom of something starting to fail - it would be a bit strange for multiple drives to all start showing the same problem at the same time if it was a failing drive (though I've noticed before they can start to stack up on other drives for some reason if you are copying data a lot between drives with one failing - maybe they are having to correct data coming from that drive :S).

Soldato
OP
Will swap all the cables on the 3 drives,make a note of how many errors and see how it goes it think
Not critical data but would be a pain to reload
All other sections report ok/fine it is just the crc error tab thats iffy
EDIT
Just ran WD diag tools on the 3 iffy drives.ALL show as ok ,no errors on crc or anywhere else
Just doing a complete block by block scan but thats going to take a hile.Hopefully it passes ok
Looks like Hdtune is giving false reports then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom