Plastering over Cat5e cable

Associate
Our victorian terrace house is currently gutted as all our first floor ceilings have been lowered to do a loft conversion. The house is having a full rewire and fresh plasterboard all round.

I would like to put some Cat5e cabling in all the rooms (2 points in each room with 3 runs of cable). All the walls are solid brick bar two. Due to the route of some of the cables I am not going to be able to run it in conduit.

Is there any issue in plastering straight over the Cat5e cable?

The solid core cable, patch panel and modules etc are all Excel.

Soldato
won't you be using plasterboard though which will be dot n dabbed to the wall and therefore have a gap between the wall and the plasterboard?

This, we cabled an empty shell for a customer then plasterers just dot and dabbed either side of cables we and sparkies had left.

If your plastering straight on top I'd be tempted to use some thicker sheathed cable on those runs.

APM

APM

Associate
EPS insulation doesn't like the sheathing on electrical cable,not sure if cat 5e and 6 suffers from the same issue but could be worth googling polystyrene insulation and electrical cable for you.

Associate
OP
EPS insulation doesn't like the sheathing on electrical cable,not sure if cat 5e and 6 suffers from the same issue but could be worth googling polystyrene insulation and electrical cable for you.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've had a quick look and can't find anything on data cables. All the info seems to be about electric cable.

I'll ask the electrician if he knows.
I could always avoid the insulated plasterboard as it's only going on the external walls.

APM

APM

Associate
I'd stick with the insulated plasterboard,especially in this weather.

Easy way around is to wrap the cable in polypropylene or your regular electrical insulation tape.

Soldato
The worst that's going to happen is the cable's outer sheath becoming brittle. As the cable isn't going to ever move I can't see much of an issue.

If you're worried put capping over the cables or run them in oval conduit.

It could also be worth checking what the sheath on LSOH cable is made from. It is different from the usual PVC and doesn't cost much more. I've found it to be nicer to worth with and tends to come in more interesting colours.

Associate
OP
The worst that's going to happen is the cable's outer sheath becoming brittle. As the cable isn't going to ever move I can't see much of an issue.

If you're worried put capping over the cables or run them in oval conduit.

It could also be worth checking what the sheath on LSOH cable is made from. It is different from the usual PVC and doesn't cost much more. I've found it to be nicer to worth with and tends to come in more interesting colours.

Cable and bits already purchased.
I'll probably just avoid all the insulated walls to be on the safe side.

APM

APM

Associate
Having googled I think you're ok with ethernet cables,looks like the plasticiser migration issue only occurs with heavy grade electrical stuff from what I found.

Ordinary electrical insulation tape wrapped once around the cable you're burying will avoid that issue too.

Back
Top Bottom