Spec me a new router

Man of Honour
What I think I will do is buy a Ubiquiti AP AC Pro and try it in various locations I can mout it, I will need 2 or 3 but at least this will give me an idea of what I do need.

Why do you think you'll need 2 or 3? I live in a decent sized 4 bed house and my single one covers the house, and most of the street, with ease.

Associate
OP
Why do you think you'll need 2 or 3? I live in a decent sized 4 bed house and my single one covers the house, and most of the street, with ease.

I really don't know how good these are, I currently have a R7000 a R6250 and a wifi extender to cover the main house, I will be able to place this in a better location than the routers at present so it should help.

As I say I will buy a single unit to test, I'm pretty sure I will need 2 to cover the games room which is 15 meters from the house and brick built, if it covers this also with one unit I will be VERY impressed :)

Man of Honour
Give it a go. I sit in my car which is about 10-15 metres from the router and connect to the wifi to update apps etc on the head unit.

Associate
OP
I tested my pro in various locations but it will not cover the house, I have changed the radio settings to "Transmit Power" to High in the AP configuration but this made no difference. I am testing this as if it is ceiling mounted, I can't find a setting to say whether it is ceiling or wall mount so it doesn't care?

Are there any other settings I missed to help with coverage?

I may need to order another unit to go with this, maybe the LR version.

Associate
Look at replacing the antenna's rather than anything else. i use a directional antenna (patch panel) on one of my antenna points to reach a single direction over a long distance. Routers are limited by power output and there is nothing you can legally do to change this. However changing the antenna can seriously increase your range.

Soldato
I tested my pro in various locations but it will not cover the house, I have changed the radio settings to "Transmit Power" to High in the AP configuration but this made no difference. I am testing this as if it is ceiling mounted, I can't find a setting to say whether it is ceiling or wall mount so it doesn't care?

Are there any other settings I missed to help with coverage?

I may need to order another unit to go with this, maybe the LR version.

Look at replacing the antenna's rather than anything else. i use a directional antenna (patch panel) on one of my antenna points to reach a single direction over a long distance. Routers are limited by power output and there is nothing you can legally do to change this. However changing the antenna can seriously increase your range.

Like Randall says this was always going to be the problem. Long Range or not the power limitations and the frequencies that WiFi operate on will always hamper you. Of course, buying a different antenna while giving you longer range might not have covered the width of your house, causing its own issues.

As myself and many others guessed one AP was never going to cut it but it was worth trying to save a little money. Whether you need a "Long Range" one in addition to your current one only you can tell but don't expect it to work any better inside your house.

"Long Range" only refers to the outside best case scenario. Having a LR and regular AP in a house next to each other you'll likely only see the distance extended by 3 or 4 meters.

In addition, while you're testing the range and coverage are you doing a speed test? It's fair enough that you might think you just need two to "cover" the house but whether that's a usable coverage is another question.

Of course, this is only something you can confirm. It does sound like you've got particular issues that might be compounded by pipes, aluminium lined insulation or solid walls that without a house survey it's hard to recommend exactly what you need.

Saying that, you're on the right track with the Unifi kit. Consumer grade stuff when you start extending off extenders is asking for a mess of problems. Starting with one Unifi AP and getting more it can only get better.

P.S. They are directional with the intention of being ceiling mounted. They can be wall mounted just be aware that the signal will drop off rapidly if you were behind it.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I have surveyed the house using the single unit as I said, I have worked out I need 3 standard units to cover all areas, I have decided not to bother with the LR unit as I don't know if 1 will work and I am sure 2 standards will cover it.

Associate
OP
Shame that one doesn't do it, but it's an easy system to add to.

Yes for me that is it's main feature, the actual coverage of a single AP isn't as good as my R7000 but the ability to add more AP's and manage from a central location is great.

Back
Top Bottom