New essential Android apps thread

Man of Honour
wow, you cant do it on your phone.
really don;t understand what you are struggling with.

theres very much need for the alarm, as that's what i want it to action on, i dont want to set an alarm then go to do not disturb nd enable that, then do the opposite at the other end.

Man of Honour
I've not played with Tasker for a while, but just installed it:

Create a take for 'set alarm'
Add an action for Audio - Do Not Disturb - mode Alarms
Add an action for System - Set Alarm - Hours and min to your usual time & confirm= ticked

Try it out with the play button at the bottom, that should set your phone on do not disturb bar alarms and launch a 'create alarm' interface to your default app.

Exit out of tasker, add a tasker task widget to your home screen, select the alarm task, hit the grid at the bottom right & select 'Built in icon' / 'application icon', select something sleepy, back out and your away :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thanks but that just sets to the pre defined amount
however just found veriable query which i've set to Numeric/interger and set default to %Time

and that brings up a text box with a tick or cross with current time displayed and can edit it, so should be able to use that, but not sure where to go from this, i'll keep playing.
i assume i need an if statement, for the tick button, but not sure how to reference that. if confirmed then do, otherwise exit

edit: no2, right it now sets alarm, and sets do not disturb.

1) Variable Query
Variable %alarm | input type : Numeric / Decimal | Default : %Time

2)If
%alarm Set

3) Variable Section
Name : %alarm | From : 1 | Length : 2 | store results : %hours

4) Variable Section
Name : %alarm | From : 3 | Length : 2 | store results : %mins

5) AlarmPad Set Alarm
Hour : %Hour | Minute : %mins automatically delete after running : yes

6)Do Not Disturb
Mode : Priority

so that works, but it still says No active profiles? got one set up where its Alarm done sets Do Not Disturbed.

Last edited:

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I put this in the S7 thread as that's what I have but guess it's better here:
I notice there are several widget managers - uccw, zooper, kgwt
Can they be used together or not?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OK, thanks both.
Creator is probably a better description actually!
Just wanted to ask before fiddling as haven't used Android in a while. S7 is my first after several iPhones!!!

Man of Honour
There are two main ways of using tasker, one toy set profiles which are "wait for condition x then do task y" and the other is to just trigger the tasks with a Hutton press, thus we're not using a profile in an ongoing state in this case.

PS when you launched the alarm in my method could you not change the alarm? I can if the confirm thing is checked, but I use a non standard alarm app so it may well depend on that :)

Man of Honour
PS when you launched the alarm in my method could you not change the alarm? I can if the confirm thing is checked, but I use a non standard alarm app so it may well depend on that :)

nope, but got that sorted now. its just the disabling of do not disturb i cant figure out, trying to use a profile for that, but tasker says no profiles set. even though the switch box says on.

Man of Honour
Profiles, add, event, time/date, alarm done. The go back and add a task to turn off do not disturb should work for stock alarm. That will trigger when the alarm is turned off (or snoozed)

Make sure tasker is running and the profile is turned on. It won't be active as it only triggers as the alarm is snoozed / canceled.

Soldato
I have alarms set for set days, DND is set via settings and quiet hours (Sony XZ) to come on automatically at 2200hrs and turn off at next alarm or 0800hrs. I have done this for the last two years on my Z3 and the options are still there in Nougat.

DND Settings>Sound>Do Not Disturb>Automatic Rules

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Profiles, add, event, time/date, alarm done. The go back and add a task to turn off do not disturb should work for stock alarm. That will trigger when the alarm is turned off (or snoozed)

Make sure tasker is running and the profile is turned on. It won't be active as it only triggers as the alarm is snoozed / canceled.
thats what ive done, still says no profiles set and doesn't seem to do anything.

I have alarms set for set days, DND is set via settings and quiet hours (Sony XZ) to come on automatically at 2200hrs and turn off at next alarm or 0800hrs. I have done this for the last two years on my Z3 and the options are still there in Nougat.

DND Settings>Sound>Do Not Disturb>Automatic Rules
which still doesn't help for us shift workers, who could be sleeping during day etc, and thus it can not be scheduled.
and noo option for that anyway as far as i can see, Cyanogen 13.1.2 which is android 6.0.1

Soldato
I've completely left Tasker and now use Automate, I much prefer it and its flow UI is easier for people to learn in my opinion. Great thing is, majority of Tasker Plugins are compatible with it. It's free for flows up to 30 blocks in length.

Let me see if I can knock something up for your DND based on alarm request.

Edit: Okay, try this
  1. Install Automate
  2. Import this flow
  3. Go to flow in app, click on "Enable notification access"
  4. Test flow out

Enable notification access is needed to interact with the DND setting. Automate reads any flow you create and will prompt for the relevant permissions; you'll get the usual generic Android warning about security but obviously the application isn't malicious.

Things to note:
DND with alarms allowed requires Android 6+
Alarm checking doesn't work on all devices

Last edited:
Associate
Is there actually an image editor that lets you do things like cut/move elements in an image with a lasso tool and such? Everything only seems to just have things like cropping and the usual brightness/contrast etc, but nothing to actually select and cut elements out.

I don't mean crazy things like isolating and removing a person with complex hair and the like, just like making a simple shape selection (like a circle or a box) and deleting/moving that part out of an image.

Soldato
Is there an alternative to hangouts that incorporates a messenger into the application? I don't like having different ones for Facebook, gtalk and SMS.

Disa is trying to do that: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.disa&hl=en_GB

Currently there's an official SMS and FB plugin, there's an unofficial WhatsApp one (due to WhatsApp's stance on 3rd party clients), Telegram is in alpha. Hangouts won't be supported as there's no public API.

Back
Top Bottom