*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

Associate
Hi All

Anyway i can easily get my s6 to marshmellow? It is currently on vodafone but i quite like the idea of a generic firmware on.

Thanks all

Associate
Hi All

Anyway i can easily get my s6 to marshmellow? It is currently on vodafone but i quite like the idea of a generic firmware on.

Thanks all

You can flash any official firmware you like using an application called Odin. It does not require root. Firmwares are available from a website called sammobile

Soldato
Just watched a video on how to replace the battery now I'm pretty good with stuff like that but this looks far too difficult to do. So anyone had there's replaced and how much it cost..

Associate
Thought I would add my 2 pence worth regarding hungary massive battery consumption after the Marshmallow update. Before the update, my battery was amazing and it was noticeably better than my old S4. I didn't need Greenify or doze and I didn't need to turn off Google location in apps.

Then the Marshmallow update came along and it was instantly noticeable that the battery was draining much faster since the update. One night I forgot to plug my phone in to charge and it dropped from around 50% to 15% overnight. I tried apps, like the ones mentioned above to stop apps using the network when my phone is in standby. Nothing seemed to help. One app that did help was GSam battery monitor, I could see my phone radio was using 30-40% battery.

Anyway, after a couple of factory resets and deleting the system cache partition, I noticed that things would be fine for a day or so before nose diving. I noticed that after Samsung apps updated which included updates to the edge screen, the troubles would begin. After my last factory reset, I immediately turned off the edge screen updates and uninstalled Samsung apps. I am now using 3% radio with 20.27 hours usage and the screen is now the biggest hog of battery, which is to be expected.

Much, much better battery now :)

Soldato
Iirc package disabler automatically turns off sw updates so users should check this incase that's why they haven't updated yet, I updated at least a month ago ota sim free.

Caporegime
Thought I would add my 2 pence worth regarding hungary massive battery consumption after the Marshmallow update. Before the update, my battery was amazing and it was noticeably better than my old S4. I didn't need Greenify or doze and I didn't need to turn off Google location in apps.

Then the Marshmallow update came along and it was instantly noticeable that the battery was draining much faster since the update. One night I forgot to plug my phone in to charge and it dropped from around 50% to 15% overnight. I tried apps, like the ones mentioned above to stop apps using the network when my phone is in standby. Nothing seemed to help. One app that did help was GSam battery monitor, I could see my phone radio was using 30-40% battery.

Anyway, after a couple of factory resets and deleting the system cache partition, I noticed that things would be fine for a day or so before nose diving. I noticed that after Samsung apps updated which included updates to the edge screen, the troubles would begin. After my last factory reset, I immediately turned off the edge screen updates and uninstalled Samsung apps. I am now using 3% radio with 20.27 hours usage and the screen is now the biggest hog of battery, which is to be expected.

Much, much better battery now :)

Although I've got a S7E on the way I've been having huge problems the past four days.

I have full bars of signal but can't call/text/use internet on BT and the battery is draining fully by early afternoon with light use, I'll factory reset and check it once new phone arrives but a ****ing pain its just gone to ****

Soldato
Ever since updating to marshmallow a few weeks back, it seems to have made it more time consuming to disable and re-enable the lock screen. I like to disable it quite often depending where I am. I used to do it in a couple of seconds with just my fingerprints. Now it requires my fingerprint and entering my password at least twice to disable or enable. Am I missing a shortcut or is this how it is for everyone, extra security and more long winded?

Associate
Thread has gone quiet lately.. Anyone here still rocking their S6/Edge/Plus?

After returning my Note 7, im back to using my dual sim Exynos S6 Edge Plus. And to be honest it feels faster than the bloated snapdragon Note 7 I was using from tmobile.

Soldato
Yep.

The battery drain is doing my head in though. Some days I can unplug my phone from the charger, then an hour later look at it and it be warm and on 70% battery. Some days, it's great. Google Play Services seems to the culprit but nothing i've tried has fixed it.

Caporegime
Samsung have said the galaxy s6 & edge will get nougat in the first "half" of 2017 lol...

This is exactly why I will never buy anything other than a nexus/google/pixel android device again, absolute joke that one of the biggest issues with android still isn't fixed, don't know who to blame more, google for not getting a proper update system or the OEM companies for withholding updates...

Soldato
Here here. One of the many reasons I jumped from S6 edge+ to Pixel having owned every Samsung flagship from the S2.
I do believe it's actually getting worse, I'm convinced the delay seems to get longer with each incarnation of Android.

Man of Honour
Has anyone found that the auto-brightness on the S6 Edge is a bit hit and miss? Mine used to be fine but now it quite often seems to stay dim for longer and require me to point it at a light source before it brightens up again. I wondered if there was perhaps an update I'd installed that led to this or if it's just the phone is getting a bit dodgy.

Back
Top Bottom