Will I get a 10% FPS Boost If I upgrade to 2133 mhz

Man of Honour
Doubtful - when I was testing with BF4 it took going from 1600MHz to 2400MHz to see around 5% increase in framerate.

Soldato
You probably wont find 2133 stable with a 2500k, mybe if lucky, I never have.

If by 'factory clocked' you mean you have no overclock on the 2500k, well, this is where you should be putting your attention for much more real gains.

Soldato
No you will be lucky to see 1%

However, there will be the odd game here and there where you might see a decent boost, maybe even your 10%, but they will be the exception. Crysis 3 comes to mind as a game that loves memory speed.

I'm sure the money spend on upgrading your ram could be better spent or saved though.

gEd

gEd

Associate
After a bit of concerted effort last week, I finally got my 2500K stable at 4.3Ghz (1.35V) with an old but decent air cooler. Any more volts and it starts throttling down. You're much better off overclocking the cpu than upgrading the RAM.

Soldato
So technically there are a few AIOs that beat the best of big air by a few C. Still not worth it though. Only reason I see to get an AIO is if an air cooler won't fit, there is just too many caveats to them.

I really like air coolers as I agree there are way too many things that can go wrong, My personal favorite is the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 followed closely by the Noctua NH-D15 but I personally just don't like having 2 pounds of metal hanging off the CPU socket compared to maybe a quarter of a pound with an AIO that's supported via tubing and a rad.

To answer the OP's original question, It depends on the game, Your minimums may go up but your averages will stay around the same.

I tested Rainbow 6 Siege at 1600MHz and 2400MHz just to show the difference and you'll notice that 2400MHz gives a nice little boost to the minimums but that's about it, Average stays the same and forget the maximum scores as they aren't reliable at all.

I ran each test 3 times to make sure the difference was correct between the clocks.

1600MHz

a4lTQO5.png

2400MHz

dQNt97u.png

Last edited:
Soldato
So technically there are a few AIOs that beat the best of big air by a few C. Still not worth it though. Only reason I see to get an AIO is if an air cooler won't fit, there is just too many caveats to them.

AIO's also look a lot better and improve general airflow around the case. But in terms of performance, I went from a phanteks tc14pe to a Corsair H100i and only saw a few degrees difference.

Soldato
No you will be lucky to see 1%

However, there will be the odd game here and there where you might see a decent boost, maybe even your 10%, but they will be the exception. Crysis 3 comes to mind as a game that loves memory speed.

I'm sure the money spend on upgrading your ram could be better spent or saved though.

Fallout 4 especially and The Witcher 3 LOVE more memory bandwidth even going from 2133 to 3200+ DDR4

Associate

Saw this video the other day which benches some games with a stock and overclocked 2500k and 1600Mhz vs 2133MHz RAM.

wow... this is exactly what i needed to see :D about to upgrade from 2500k and had lots of questions around ram and doubts over the need to upgrade. between this and another post I now know my answers.

Back
Top Bottom