DDR4 for new build, o/clocking not reqd.

Soldato
I'm gonna be upgrading me pc (see below) shortly and while I've got my options sorted (depending on Zen, s/h market etc) I'm totally in the dark regarding the memory.
I'm gonna need some DDR4 but have no idea which brand, speed would suitable for me. I'm not interested in overclocking it, I'll do that on the cpu and gpu, so what are my options here?
I fancy the idea of buying a single 8gb stick to start with to keep costs down a bit then adding another 8gb shortly afterwards.
Any info/opinions greatly appreciated.:)

Soldato
I quite like teamgroup or gskill, the issue you have with buying 1 now and a second later, is even if you buy the exact same ram, if they have done any slight change or update to it, you will run into problems.

Better just to dig deep now and get what you can to minimise the risk of issues later

Soldato
I'm in same boat and whilst I don't yet have a mobo that can support ddr4 I have just bought 16gb of gskill rip jaw 3200 cl14. I went with them as they will fit under my cooler, match my colour scheme and fitted the budget.

Associate
If budget is low then I would get the cheapest 16gb 3000 from any manufacturer. If your not overclocking then memory is memory IMHO. Get faster ram if it's not much more expensive but the difference between 3000 and 3200 isn't much.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for info guys, very useful. One thing that'll sway my decision is that Skylake 'frinstance doesn't support single channel ram apparently (would appreciate it if someone could confirm this) so its looking like 2 x 8gb of DDR4 of whatever I end up choosing.

Soldato
I just fired up my fave eshop and browsed ddr4 over 3k. You'll soon come across a set that matches what you want

Associate
Defo 2 sticks for kaby without question.

I've just gone for a set of the new G.Skill RGB as i reckon they look the mutt's nut's. No need going past 3600 on kaby. 3600CL16 is same price as 3200CL14 for the RGB's. Anything around 3000 will be fine, gains from ram in gaming aren't even worth talking about, you'll get more from using a decent driver!

Back
Top Bottom