'Out of memory' issues when gaming - buy 2x8GB DDR3, or just two more 4GB?

Soldato
Evening all,

I'm having lots of 'out of memory' issues when attempting to play ARMA 3, Rust, DayZ, and it seems I may need to increase the amount of RAM I have?

Current mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Motherboard (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1150-ddr3-atx-motherboard-mb-446-gi.html)
Current RAM: TeamGroup Vulcan GOLD 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLYD38G2400HC11CDC01) (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-tlred38g2400hc11cdc01-my-061-tg.html)

So should I buy 2x8GB sticks of RAM and flog my current sticks, or just buy two more of the same sticks? This is purely for gaming, and I'm not a benchmarker.

Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated.

Hugh

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like you have turned the Windows page file off, turn it back on. I would still upgrade to 16GB RAM. 2 * 8GB will give the same performance as 4*4GB.

Last edited:
Soldato
When the issues occur you need to access resource monitor and see what memory usage is, it's the graph at the bottom with hardware reserved etc your looking for.

Soldato
OP
When the issues occur you need to access resource monitor and see what memory usage is, it's the graph at the bottom with hardware reserved etc your looking for.

I cleared a bunch of stuff from my primary SSD (the one with the OS on it) and it hasn't happened since.

I'm monitoring the memory useage at the moment though whilst on ARMA 3 (thank you kindly for the suggestion of Resource Monitor), and the hard faults/sec is often reading as 100 (I'm thinking it must be higher than that as the line looks to be peaking well above that given the apparent plateau in the graph). Must be badgiven the graph scale ends at 100?

Any pointers on whether to use 2x8GB or 4x4GB sticks though?

Soldato
OP
The Killer Network can cause issues - i would get out of memory messages with 16gb of ram.

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/37898-memory-problem.html

Also try the below - my value was 2 and 4 fixed it- i have a Gigabyte mobo also
Open up "regedit" and go this key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu

Change the "Start" value to 4 (to disable it).

Thank you for this m4rmite - I've had a look in the processes list and can find no 'killer network' label anywhere. Is this peculiar?

Associate
ok forgive me - i saw Gigabyte and thought your mobo had the Killer Network, just checked and its an Intel one.

Have you checked your settings in regedit?

Soldato
I cleared a bunch of stuff from my primary SSD (the one with the OS on it) and it hasn't happened since.

I'm monitoring the memory useage at the moment though whilst on ARMA 3 (thank you kindly for the suggestion of Resource Monitor), and the hard faults/sec is often reading as 100 (I'm thinking it must be higher than that as the line looks to be peaking well above that given the apparent plateau in the graph). Must be badgiven the graph scale ends at 100?

Any pointers on whether to use 2x8GB or 4x4GB sticks though?

You need to report the actual memory useage however.

Sounds like your c drive was full and page file could no increase.

2 * 8 or 4 * 4 makes little to no difference. I personally prefer to populate all empty slots with the sane memory but its just a personal preference.

Kingston makes some of the most reliable memory.

Soldato
OP
You need to report the actual memory useage however.

Sounds like your c drive was full and page file could no increase.

2 * 8 or 4 * 4 makes little to no difference. I personally prefer to populate all empty slots with the sane memory but its just a personal preference.

Kingston makes some of the most reliable memory.

Thank you for this. I was watching the memory usage, and it peaked at around 98% on Rust, but on Arma 3 was sitting around the 80% mark.

Regarding the memory, I've just bought two more of the same RAM sticks to go 4x4GB, but I see it's described as 'dual channel memory kit'. Does this mean I cannot use four of them, and must buy a quad channel kit?

Soldato
Thank you for this. I was watching the memory usage, and it peaked at around 98% on Rust, but on Arma 3 was sitting around the 80% mark.

Regarding the memory, I've just bought two more of the same RAM sticks to go 4x4GB, but I see it's described as 'dual channel memory kit'. Does this mean I cannot use four of them, and must buy a quad channel kit?

If it's peaking at 98% your definitely short of memory.

Dual channel memory kit just means it's a matched pair of memory SIMMS. Quad channel memory kit is just a matched pair of 4 memory SIMMS.

Memory SIMMS are always the same, be they sold individual, in pairs, or in 4's. The advantage of buying together in same package is only that they are matched from the same production run. For example you could buy a quad memory kit and put 2 sticks in one computer, and another 2 sticks in a totally different computer.

Your motherboard will still run in dual channel mode (as it's a dual channel CPU), even however 4 memory SIMMS are populated.

You will be totally fine putting those 2 sticks of memory you have purchased with your existing memory.

Man of Honour
Shouldn't really be maxing out 8GB unless you have a ton of stuff running in the background or some kind of memory allocation issue.

Can't remember if its the same for Windows 10 but go to task manager->performance->resource monitor and make sure you don't have like several GB allocated to hardware reserve or something.

Might also be worth using custom settings for the pagefile and setting Initial size to 1024MB and Maximum size to something like 8192-16384MB and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Shouldn't really be maxing out 8GB unless you have a ton of stuff running in the background or some kind of memory allocation issue.

Can't remember if its the same for Windows 10 but go to task manager->performance->resource monitor and make sure you don't have like several GB allocated to hardware reserve or something.

Might also be worth using custom settings for the pagefile and setting Initial size to 1024MB and Maximum size to something like 8192-16384MB and see if that helps.

Currently have 1073MB hardware reserved, 2717MB in use (two Chrome windows open and resource monitor on), 31MB modified, 1665MB standby, and 2716MB free. Anything seem odd about that?

I'll give the custom pagefile settings a try if the problems return.

Soldato
I agree hardware reserved is a little high.

Do you have the onboard graphics controller enabled?

No nothing you can do to minimize load on controller with 4 memory SIMMS but it's that minor it's totally nothing to worry about, I have 6 computers in my house with all there memory slots populated.

Soldato
OP
Hardware reserved is a bit high - on most systems I've used its in the range of 50-200MB.

I agree hardware reserved is a little high.

Do you have the onboard graphics controller enabled?

No nothing you can do to minimize load on controller with 4 memory SIMMS but it's that minor it's totally nothing to worry about, I have 6 computers in my house with all there memory slots populated.

Thank you for the info on the load - good to know.

And I do indeed have it enabled - needed it to run a fourth screen (three coming from GPU, the final - mirroring one of the GPU-driven screens - needed the onboard graphics enabled).

With 16GB, I assume having that much hardware reserved RAM isn't an issue?

Back
Top Bottom