Spec me a new router

Associate
Spec me a new router - Ubiquiti Unifi

Hi

I need a new router for the house, at the moment I have a Netgear R7000, netgear R6250 and a wifi extender to provide coverage to the main house, I also have using EoP wifi extender in the games room but that is a separate building so will have to stay.

What I would like to do is get rid of the R7000, R6250 and wifi extender and replace with one router, I need something with excellent wifi coverage or maybe a router I can change the antennas to help coverage?

My house is brick construction including all internal walls.

Any help and advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You already have a very good router, you won't be able to get a single device with coverage significantly larger than the R7000. You're better off cabling the house and installing access points in areas with low coverage.

Soldato
1 device will not do what you want full stop. Devices are governed in how much power they can put out so what ever device you get it will not be able to replace 3 devices and also WiFi is 2 way so you're as such limited by the devices trying to connect to the router as the router itself. You could try moving your main Router to a more central location which may help get rid of a device.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, I re-read my op and realised I missed on key element, the R7000 is on its way out, getting drop outs on wireless and wired and it keeps refusing Web admin access and requires a reboot regularly.

Moving the router is not that easy, my wife doesn't like cables so I can't run them inside the house.

So I need a new router with the best wifi I can, as a family we are heavy users with 25+ wired and wireless devices.

Soldato
TBH then you're be stuck with the status quo what ever Router/AP/Switch combo unit that you get it won't be much better in terms of range than your current one.

With as many devices as you have and with the construction and i guess size of your house you kind of need the infrastructure setup right or you end up with your current situation with devices all over the shop and the **** such as range extenders.

I'm sure someone else can recommend a decent enough combo unit.

Soldato
First of all I agree with what the others have said, don't buy one thing as a replacement and stay away from extenders.

With the world of enterprise access points slowly bubbling up to the consumer market you can get truly great setups now for not much money.

As others have suggested the Ubiquiti Unifi range of equipment appears to be the first of this type and having bought some myself I have to agree.

If you've never had much success with the R7000 (which appears to review well) I'd probably just get started with two AP's as one will likely have all the same issues as any single WiFi router.

It also looks like neither of those routers are modems , so I assume you've got a ISP provided modem?

If so, take the router out of the equation and simply plug the AP's into your modem.

You'll need to install the controller software on a PC (that's connected to the current network, either wired of using your current wireless) to get the APs set up, but once your done you should be able to connect to them and get straight on the internet.

Instead of continuing to use the extender in the separate building the Unifi APs can be setup by running just one Ethernet cable form your modem to the AP. Gives you a little more flexibility in positioning it because it's not high voltage and if it gets broken it's cheap and easy to replace - although I'd still advise that you treat it like an electrical cable simply for prolonging it's life (and there is some power in there...)

The alternative to that is using one of their outside AP's which are well priced and if placed on the back of your house could likely cover the whole street :)

Last edited:
Soldato
First of all I agree with what the others have said, don't buy one thing as a replacement and stay away from extenders.

With the world of enterprise access points slowly bubbling up to the consumer market you can get truly great setups now for not much money.

As others have suggested the Ubiquiti Unifi range of equipment appears to be the first of this type and having bought some myself I have to agree.

If you've never had much success with the R7000 (which appears to review well) I'd probably just get started with two AP's as one will likely have all the same issues as any single WiFi router.

It also looks like neither of those routers are modems , so I assume you've got a ISP provided modem?

If so, take the router out of the equation and simply plug the AP's into your modem.

You'll need to install the controller software on a PC (that's connected to the current network, either wired of using your current wireless) to get the APs set up, but once your done you should be able to connect to them and get straight on the internet.

Instead of continuing to use the extender in the separate building the Unifi APs can be setup by running just one Ethernet cable form your modem to the AP. Gives you a little more flexibility in positioning it because it's not high voltage and if it gets broken it's cheap and easy to replace - although I'd still advise that you treat it like an electrical cable simply for prolonging it's life (and there is some power in there...)

The alternative to that is using one of their outside AP's which are well priced and if placed on the back of your house could likely cover the whole street :)

Any sort of wires are out of the question, what my post was trying to get at was that he is forever more going to have Hodge podge network until he bites the bullet.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I have been investigating today and I have figured out a way where I can run a cable outside to get upstairs without any wire showing and keeping the wife happy :) just need to get some external cat 6 cable.

What I think I will do is buy a Ubiquiti AP AC Pro and try it in various locations I can mout it, I will need 2 or 3 but at least this will give me an idea of what I do need.

Soldato
i Have an R7000 not played with it yet but I think it will support either DD-wrt or open-wrt (can't remember which). I don't supposed you've played with a different firmware to see if it helps with the drop outs.

I read that NAT is done in hardware which has no open source driver so it is done via software (which when over clocked proves only marginally slower), never know a firmware change might save it from the scrap heap?

Associate
OP
i Have an R7000 not played with it yet but I think it will support either DD-wrt or open-wrt (can't remember which). I don't supposed you've played with a different firmware to see if it helps with the drop outs.

I read that NAT is done in hardware which has no open source driver so it is done via software (which when over clocked proves only marginally slower), never know a firmware change might save it from the scrap heap?

Thanks I will try this tomorrow, your right might save it from going in the bin although I got it free anyway :)

I think I will try the ubiquiti kit anyway to get rid of the additional router and wifi extenders, I am on Virgin and find the superhub somewhat limited as a router.

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom