WD Black 2TB 40c at idle is.....

Soldato
My 2TB WD Black hard drive at idle is 40c, is this normal, quite warm to touch,my 1TB WD Black is 30c at idle, in all my years i have never used a dedicated HD fan, maybe i need this ? i have done full test on the 2TB drive and no errors, only just bought it.

Associate
40c for a 7200RPM drive with no cooling sounds about right to me. The drive still uses 75% of it's sustained power draw when at idle so it's normal for them to run on the warm side.

With a slow fan and a cool room my 7200RPM drive sits around 32-33C, If your worried then you could add a fan, but 40C is well within the operating range of the drive so I wouldn't be too concerned myself.

Soldato
OP
Thx for reply, yes i have since looked at WD Black specs, and seems upto 60c is ok, i mean within the limits for the drive, but cooler the better obviously, i have just ordered another front fan to blow in over the hard drives, the one that is already there is up higher so misses the drives, but there is a fan space that will blow some air over them, i have ordered the same fan as i already have in front, corsair 120mm 0.38A A1225M12S, i think its best to keep them the same ?, do you think this fan will be ok ? runs at 650 rpm on standard fan profile when pc is running at idle, or at 1360 rpm on turbo.

Associate
Hey there, Daytrader.

I'm with @DarkBahamut on this one. 40°C is definitely OK for an idle drive. In my opinion, unless you hit the max of the operating temp (60°C) you have nothing to worry about and you could go without an extra fan, if this is the sole reason for you to be looking for another one.
However, as you've mentioned yourself it's not a matter of what kind of temp your components can withstand, but a matter of what's best for them, so the cooler - the better. :)

The fan sounds about fine, but you should also consider the noise level and if you mind it or not.

Cheers!
Boogieman_WD

Back
Top Bottom