• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 vs 980 Ti

Soldato
Hi gents,

Rocking the PC in my sig (5820k/GTX 970 mini).
I am building a PC for my mate and he is buying my 970 mini for his ITX build.

What would be a better upgrade for me? A second hand 980 Ti for under £300 or a 1070 for c£360.
Leaning towards the 1070 as it will dump less heat and take less space in my micro ATX case (my full size PSU may get in the way).

Interested in what is a better solution especially at 4K gaming res.

Associate
Swings and roundabouts really after having had both. I prefer the cooler running and more current architecture though, for around £360 new the 1070 is not massively more than a second hand 980Ti. Out of the box the 1070 should be faster but overclocked they are very close. I can see the 980Ti losing performance relatively though as it time goes on.

Associate
don't think either of those cards will cut it at 4k both will run 1440p very well im sure someone who runs 4k will soon answer

Man of Honour
Swings and roundabouts really after having had both. I prefer the cooler running and more current architecture though, for around £360 new the 1070 is not massively more than a second hand 980Ti. Out of the box the 1070 should be faster but overclocked they are very close. I can see the 980Ti losing performance relatively though as it time goes on.

While average framerates can be close especially when overclocked the devil is in the detail - I find the 1070 holds performance well in some areas of a game where the 980ti can drop out considerably even though on paper they give close average framerate for the game.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like the 1070 is winning at the moment.
For those that say neither will push 4k, that's fair, I play on a cheap 4K TV so I have the option of 1080p or 4K.

I have managed to play a few games at 4K on my 970 already though and active around 40 FPS. This includes MGS V (very close to max no AA) and GTA V (mostly high with tessellation and a few settings on very high). It's not been bad, can't really justify a GTX 1080 or assumed 1080 Ti though.

Soldato
What. 1070 holds performance? Do you guys even know how GPU boost 3.0 works? Ive not seen anyone have a 1070 hold 2.1Ghz unless its under water around 50 degees. It drops to around 2Ghz and any 980Ti at 1450 will be faster than a 1070 at 2Ghz or even 2.1.

Yea in the future the 1070 should make more progression with performance updates but its just going to match what a 980Ti can do overclocked and then just have a extra 2Gb of memory. So swings and roundabouts. Your paying 60-80 atleast for 2Gb extra vram and the extra warranty.

Man of Honour
What. 1070 holds performance? Do you guys even know how GPU boost 3.0 works? Ive not seen anyone have a 1070 hold 2.1Ghz unless its under water around 50 degees. It drops to around 2Ghz and any 980Ti at 1450 will be faster than a 1070 at 2Ghz or even 2.1.

Yea in the future the 1070 should make more progression with performance updates but its just going to match what a 980Ti can do overclocked and then just have a extra 2Gb of memory. So swings and roundabouts. Your paying 60-80 atleast for 2Gb extra vram and the extra warranty.

I take it that is a response to my post - never mind I've explained how GPU Boost 3.0 works and what the clock speeds tend to do several times on these forums and what I said about holding performance was in relative framerates to the 980ti and not how well the 1070 holds its boost.

I'm talking about scenes in games where despite the 2 cards being close when running the built in benchmark during actual gameplay you will find places where the 980ti drops off a lot more i.e. one I have particularly in mind the 980ti only does 38-40fps in a certain section while the 1070 just about holds 60fps - I'm not saying this is generally the case but you will find instances of it in some newer games.

Associate
I'm an owner of 980 TI sli 4k I've played at 4k with a single 980 ti and it depends on A) the overclock and B) your expectations. I had my single TI at 1525mhz and in most games maxed out I'd never be below 40s which is good performance for a single gpu BOPS 3 solid 60fps maxed out 0x aa

Associate
I take it that is a response to my post - never mind I've explained how GPU Boost 3.0 works and what the clock speeds tend to do several times on these forums and what I said about holding performance was in relative framerates to the 980ti and not how well the 1070 holds its boost.

I'm talking about scenes in games where despite the 2 cards being close when running the built in benchmark during actual gameplay you will find places where the 980ti drops off a lot more i.e. one I have particularly in mind the 980ti only does 38-40fps in a certain section while the 1070 just about holds 60fps - I'm not saying this is generally the case but you will find instances of it in some newer games.

In which games? :confused:

Soldato

What "games" does the 980Ti "drop off a lot more"? Because you say you only have one in mind.

Because multiple benchmarks ive seen a overclocked 980Ti faster than a overclocked 1070. only time ive seen the 1070 faster is where the 980Ti is just left at out of the box overclock. A 1070 generall boosts to 18 or even 1900 in some cases which leaves hardly any headroom for overclocking compared to a 980Ti. You see 1070 hitting 2Ghz or 2.1 when been pushed from out of the box.
However when a 1070 starts ramping up usage/power and temps its clocks then to drop off a lot more than a 980Ti.

Soldato
Depends what cards your using, they both have good/not so good ones, but sorry mate, it's one of those quality of life situations not having to game in the buff due to waste heat:p

In some newer titles the 1070 rips the Ti a new one too, going forwards that'll only increase as old gen performance can drop off a cliff/need support as it's proritised lower.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What "games" does the 980Ti "drop off a lot more"? Because you say you only have one in mind.

Because multiple benchmarks ive seen a overclocked 980Ti faster than a overclocked 1070. only time ive seen the 1070 faster is where the 980Ti is just left at out of the box overclock. A 1070 generall boosts to 18 or even 1900 in some cases which leaves hardly any headroom for overclocking compared to a 980Ti. You see 1070 hitting 2Ghz or 2.1 when been pushed from out of the box.
However when a 1070 starts ramping up usage/power and temps its clocks then to drop off a lot more than a 980Ti.

Didn't say only one in mind - I said I have a particular case in mind where its more pronounced - in this case everybody's gone to the rapture where as you walk around you will find some bits where the 980ti struggles more than the 1070 with the same view.

As I said the devil is in the detail - the average framerate numbers on review sites, etc. often don't reveal it same for the canned benchmarks where its often not apparent but sometimes in actual gameplay another story - unless you happen to play a game through on both cards or play the same thing a lot where it happens to happen its quite hard to pickup on - I have an almost eidetic memory when it comes to game worlds and framerates and can tell you after just one run through what kind of framerate you'd get in any given area so tend to notice things like this.

Associate
Depends what cards your using, they both have good/not so good ones, but sorry mate, it's one of those quality of life situations not having to game in the buff due to waste heat:p

In some newer titles the 1070 rips the Ti a new one too, going forwards that'll only increase as old gen performance can drop off a cliff/need support as it's proritised lower.
In which newer titles? You can't really compare a stock GTX 980 Ti vs overclocked custom GTX 1070.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgfe4QdhBbE

Back
Top Bottom