• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI Titan X to ....... ?

Associate
Jumped on the VR train (only works with one GPU for the time being, but it's amazing - gives a whole new feel) and running 4K fine on my non VR games.

Thinking of an upgrade before the Titan XMs depreciate more (in general very happy with them)

Currently eyeing the Titan XPs but they are out of stock, 1080 doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade as I can clock the TXMs pretty high ~1400 even on stock voltage.

What is left is when Nvidia launches the 1080Ti or next Titan ... but have no idea when.

Views?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in the same boat, similar clocks and a rift user.

IMHO there isn't an upgrade out there worth taking the hit for at the moment, not in the GPU department anyway.

If you must buy something new/pascal I can tell you from experience use the cost of a 1080 to build a VR capable MITX PC - much more fun to be had there :)

If you do jump, I'd be very keento hear your thoughts though rather than just numbers.

ETA, just seen your signature. You have the disease as bad as I do....

Associate
OP
I'm in the same boat, similar clocks and a rift user.

IMHO there isn't an upgrade out there worth taking the hit for at the moment, not in the GPU department anyway.

If you must buy something new/pascal I can tell you from experience use the cost of a 1080 to build a VR capable MITX PC - much more fun to be had there :)

If you do jump, I'd be very keento hear your thoughts though rather than just numbers.

ETA, just seen your signature. You have the disease as bad as I do....

I will probably sell the AMD GPUs (at some point) and put the Titan Xs into those rigs.

The problem is that I'm mining ATM (can't/wont sell for now, Nvidia isn't that good for mining) and looking at the MM TXs are going for 380 :eek: like WTF ?

Soldato
I think now is a terrible time to jump ship. The TXM won't go much lower, wait for 1080Ti/Vega

And you're right 1080 is a pointless move from a TXM and personally I felt £1200 for a TXP with a terrible stock cooler was not an option.

Soldato
I think now is a terrible time to jump ship. The TXM won't go much lower, wait for 1080Ti/Vega

And you're right 1080 is a pointless move from a TXM and personally I felt £1200 for a TXP with a terrible stock cooler was not an option.

IMO it's a very good stock cooler. Water cooling helps push the chip further but the stock cooler is very quiet. I dunno why so many are infatuated with the often lower quality non-ref air cooling parts pushing hot air into the case. From what i've read pascal clocks well even with the stock cooler, aftermarket 1080's for example are IMO not worth the premium as the reference cards actually do clock nearly as well I believe, just a little louder.

I use one on the desk next to me and I don't even notice any extra noise when gaming over the system ramping up generally anyway.

Last edited:

Sem

Sem

Soldato
IMO it's a very good stock cooler. Water cooling helps push the chip further but the stock cooler is very quiet. I dunno why so many are infatuated with the often lower quality non-ref air cooling parts pushing hot air into the case. From what i've read pascal clocks well even with the stock cooler, aftermarket 1080's for example are IMO not worth the premium as the reference cards actually do clock nearly as well I believe, just a little louder.

I use one on the desk next to me and I don't even notice any extra noise when gaming over the system ramping up generally anyway.

come on now... reference coolers are garbage compared to the coolers from Gigabyte, MSI, Asus etc

up to 15c cooler and vastly quieter....

yes the reference coolers does the job and might be suited to case that cant exhaust hot air out themselves but still...

Soldato
I've gone from dual Titan xm for single Titan xp.

Firstly, the plan was to watercool the XP, but I wanted to try it first before dismantling it. I could hear the fan when playing Forza, so it is loud with the stock cooler.

Single card grunt is king for me, big difference in FPS, the XP has some real grunt in comparison to a single XM.

I do have the upgrade bug though.

Associate
OP
I've gone from dual Titan xm for single Titan xp.

Firstly, the plan was to watercool the XP, but I wanted to try it first before dismantling it. I could hear the fan when playing Forza, so it is loud with the stock cooler.

Single card grunt is king for me, big difference in FPS, the XP has some real grunt in comparison to a single XM.

I do have the upgrade bug though.

I see you are running a 4K monitor, are you lowering settings to get 60FPS ? And what games do you play?

Soldato
come on now... reference coolers are garbage compared to the coolers from Gigabyte, MSI, Asus etc

up to 15c cooler and vastly quieter....

yes the reference coolers does the job and might be suited to case that cant exhaust hot air out themselves but still...

I have to disagree. With the case on the desk next to me there's no more noise from the GPU than there is from the case/cpu fans.

Reference coolers have come on too over the years. The non reference kit is often just some big ass fans surrounded by an ugly shroud :), using part probably cheaper than the reference cooler.

Personally I'd stay reference or switch water cooling. Look at the pricing for the some of the air cooled units vs reference from NVidia.£100+ just isn't worth it IMO. At some of the issues recently (MSI and EVGA) are with their own modded cards......

Associate
Reference coolers have come on too over the years.

Not on AMD cards they didn't.

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Soldato
I see you are running a 4K monitor, are you lowering settings to get 60FPS ? And what games do you play?

I use the 4K monitor for web browsing, watching things and office work.
I had two of them but with the two Titan XM I used to get screen tearing so got the S2716DG which has gsync and a refresh rate of 144Mhz so I game on that. The max resolution of that monitor is 1440p so I've never used the Titan XP for 4K gaming. I suspect it would be ok because my 4K monitor is capped at 60Mhz.

Soldato
The reviews I read showed the TXP to be the same loudness as TXM under load which for me was unacceptably loud during gaming.

Same, actually had a TXP for a short while and was just as loud as any other ref coolers. Unbearable while gaming with any kind of overclock.

I sent it back due to price and gains over a 1080. It may be worth it over a single TXM but they are still £1100. Easily worth it to drop a setting or two and wait for the next gen of cards.

Soldato
I've had 3 Titan XM cards in my time - An Asus with reference blower, that was quite silent for some reason (PC next to me) - then 2x EVGA Hybrid so they were naturally quiet.

The New Titan XP seemed very loud to me (At stock everything) and when playing FH3 at 1440P you could hear the fan ramp up after a while. Now it's under water it doesn't even break a sweat!

Soldato
Tell people to stop being lazy and get multi gpu support for vr. Most people who can afford vr will have 2 titans minimum anyway :p.

One gpu rendering one eye makes more sense to me anyway.

Soldato
The reviews I read showed the TXP to be the same loudness as TXM under load which for me was unacceptably loud during gaming.

having owned both I would say the Pascal card is quieter. When I used the Maxwell card it was under the desk but still was fairly quiet to be honest - the noise never disappointed when using speakers or headphones.

Must admit I've only played one game so far for 3+ hours with the TXP (Far Cry primal) and another for 20 odd minutes but with the PC on my desk it's definately very acceptable noise wise. The PC is generally a bit louder anyway under heavier load as they all are and I've not sat there thinking" oh, there goes the GPU again".

Associate
And there was me thinking that the reference cooler on the Titan XP was there to protect the card whilst shipping and to be removed and replaced with a full cover water block. interesting........ Plebs :D

Back
Top Bottom