Freesync tweak guide.

Soldato
Has anyone got a good guide on how to set a freesync monitor up properly plz?

I've found a few tips scattered around forums that have helped so far, i've limited the fps to 73 to stop it hitting 75hz and this reduced the tearing i was getting in GTA.

I've just disabled it for now while im watching youtube videos cause after a few seconds freesync kicks in and starts making the videos flicker at the top and its real annoying.

I just figured i would try and find a setup guide first before i start asking lots of annoying questions.

Ta.

Associate
by default, there is no setup guide because its simply a case of enabling free sync in the AMD control panel and adjusting settings as required. with each monitor having a different freesync range, it would be impossible to say limit your fps to 75fps to stay in the freesync range.

edit: if you have issues with the fps limiter not working in games that use opengl etc, use vsync to stay in the freesync range

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If i turn vsync on in games it turns into a stutterfest, i figured ya needed it off to get things running smooth. Ill have to look into that.

Another thing im having issues with is the flashing/flickering i get at the top of the screen when ever freesync is on, it doesnt happen when its turned off. Is there any way to counter that? It makes youtube videos impossible to watch without disabling freesync.

Soldato
If i turn vsync on in games it turns into a stutterfest, i figured ya needed it off to get things running smooth. Ill have to look into that.

Another thing im having issues with is the flashing/flickering i get at the top of the screen when ever freesync is on, it doesnt happen when its turned off. Is there any way to counter that? It makes youtube videos impossible to watch without disabling freesync.

I turn vsync off and limit fps to 74 in crimson, I just tried youtube and not getting any flickering, mabe a driver or crossfire conflict

Soldato
OP
Yeah i did that originally as im used to doing that with vsync, but it just made the screen start flickering and gradually get worse until it made me feel ill so i disabled that after 20 mins.

I was on crimson 16.5.1 and yesterday i tried changing it to 16.5.2 but it didnt seem to change anything. I see 16.5.3 came out last night so i'll try them now.

I just tried vsync again ingame, if i enable vsync ingame the game starts stalling every second and the hz meter on the monitor drops from 75 to 60 everytime it stalls. Also my fps meter reads 45 when vsync is on, if i turn it off it shoots up to around 70. I dont think vsync+freesync is possible on this monitor, it just makes a mess of things.

Its very strange playing with freesync on just makes me feel like im playing drunk or summat lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just tried youtube and not getting any flickering, mabe a driver or crossfire conflict

Hmm thats odd, i actually tried it with crossfire off, i turned it off as soon as i was getting problems to rule it out.

Did you have to do anything when you got your monitor other than run DDU and install the latest drivers or did it just work?

This was a bgrade which as far as i understood just means it might have a scuff or cable missing but should work fine, i was willing to save the 30+% for that but if theres actually summat wrong ill send it back and just pay the extra for a normal one. Theres a function called overdrive on the monitor that doesnt work either, maybe thats why its bgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sounds good, what monitor have you got? Mine is a Acer XR341CK. Was reduced from £750 to 500 just for been bgrade so i figured bargain. I dont mind a few scuffs for that sorta saving. I might have to send it back and see if i can get one like yours if its a nice upgrade for me.

Soldato
OP
For Freesync turn off Vsync.

Yeah i have been, doesnt work with it on.

I have the same monitor, just a though be might be worth doing a reset in the monitor menu

Yeah ive given that a go, ive just been testing GTA for a while now and the flickering gets worse the longer its on, by the time i logged off it was so bad it felt like it was only running at 20hz or summat but the FPS was saying 60-70.

Im gonna pack it back up and send it back, i've spent 2 days trying to get it useable but all its given me is a headache looking at all the flickering. If yours runs ok old_gamer i'll just order a new one instead once theyve confirmed its faulty. Ive noticed the price of them has gone down to 600 new now so i would only have to pay another 100 which isnt the end of the world.

Cheers for the help guys.

Soldato
Yeah i did that originally as im used to doing that with vsync, but it just made the screen start flickering and gradually get worse until it made me feel ill so i disabled that after 20 mins.

I was on crimson 16.5.1 and yesterday i tried changing it to 16.5.2 but it didnt seem to change anything. I see 16.5.3 came out last night so i'll try them now.

I just tried vsync again ingame, if i enable vsync ingame the game starts stalling every second and the hz meter on the monitor drops from 75 to 60 everytime it stalls. Also my fps meter reads 45 when vsync is on, if i turn it off it shoots up to around 70. I dont think vsync+freesync is possible on this monitor, it just makes a mess of things.

Its very strange playing with freesync on just makes me feel like im playing drunk or summat lol.

I have the same monitor and mine doesn't behave like that with vsync on...

Back
Top Bottom