Acer Predator X34A or Asus PG348Q

Associate
Hi, I'm in need of a new monitor currently got the dell U2711 It's a great monitor and has served me well for 6 years, but it only runs at 59Hz. And with the new GTX 1080's coming soon It's upgrade time ;)

I'm looking for a monitor that will last a while so research has lead me to the Acer Predator X34A or Asus PG348Q Both have the features I want (1440p+, G-sync, 100Hzish, Curved, LED).

So with that which is best? I've read they use the same Panel, so does it only come down to price being the major difference?

I've seen quite a few people with QC Problems, so Which has the best customer service record if the worst should happen and I get a bad panel?

Also I live not that far from the OCUK Store does anyone know if they have these on show?

Another option is to get the Dell S2716DG and duel screen it with my current monitor, It's not curved but it's a lot cheaper. So any opinions on the Dell? Is it any good?

Sorry for all the questions :) 1K is a lot of money to spent on 1 monitor, so just try to make sure it's not wasted.

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Yeah there both the same. QC can be hit and miss on both. My first PG348Q had issues my brothers x34 did not. Other people had loads of issues with thier x34 then none on the pg348q. Long story short neither have perfect qc, but get a solid panel with either and your golden. If the panel has any qc issues I would send it back to the store asap rather then faffing around with Asus and acer.

Though I believe the new a version of the x34 is one with tighter qc control which is why it has a premium over the normal x34. But may need confirmation on that.

Soldato
One thing to keep in mind, the X34 does have the LED strip underneath the front edge which is a very nice understated feature which the PG348Q is lacking. May not sway you much, but I really like it on mine and when if I've tried turning it off I do miss it. Just a thought anyway. :)

Caporegime
One thing to keep in mind, the X34 does have the LED strip underneath the front edge which is a very nice understated feature which the PG348Q is lacking. May not sway you much, but I really like it on mine and when if I've tried turning it off I do miss it. Just a thought anyway. :)

And having it with a red-lit keyboard is especially cool :D :cool:

OcUK Staff
Yeah there both the same. QC can be hit and miss on both. My first PG348Q had issues my brothers x34 did not. Other people had loads of issues with thier x34 then none on the pg348q. Long story short neither have perfect qc, but get a solid panel with either and your golden. If the panel has any qc issues I would send it back to the store asap rather then faffing around with Asus and acer.

Though I believe the new a version of the x34 is one with tighter qc control which is why it has a premium over the normal x34. But may need confirmation on that.

In all fairness PG348Q we have sold only around 50 units of those as supply is very poor. Whereas between the two X34 models we have sold over 1000 units now.

Also both the Acer models have a lower return rate compared to the Asus, as such if it was my money, I'd buy the Acer, it cost less and is readily available.

But if you do want the Asus I do have 20 units landing in stock next week. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all help everyone :)

I went with the Acer x34a, No point paying the higher price for pretty much the same model.

Of cause I brought it from OCUK, the best place for all my PC needs :D

Associate
A Great choice. I love mine. Blows me away each time I use it. Only thing I would suggest is using another psu unit from another monitor as someone has said theres something not quite right about the acer one. I forgot where I read that but he analysed the current or something because he thought that was the issue to his problem. Ive put mine aside and feel more comfortable but this is just me.

Caporegime
A Great choice. I love mine. Blows me away each time I use it. Only thing I would suggest is using another psu unit from another monitor as someone has said theres something not quite right about the acer one. I forgot where I read that but he analysed the current or something because he thought that was the issue to his problem. Ive put mine aside and feel more comfortable but this is just me.

Run mine for 6 months on it with no problem :)

Associate
Run mine for 6 months on it with no problem :)

Mountainlifter. Acer community.
"Long story short, I did find a larger than normal amount of ripple in the Acer X34's power adapter"

I doubt many would notice the difference it is just how I feel after using it. Since the screen has a DC method of supplying power having as less ripple in the actual power adapter is probably quite important. Its there in the background anyway.

Soldato
Mountainlifter. Acer community.
"Long story short, I did find a larger than normal amount of ripple in the Acer X34's power adapter"

I doubt many would notice the difference it is just how I feel after using it. Since the screen has a DC method of supplying power having as less ripple in the actual power adapter is probably quite important. Its there in the background anyway.

by the sound of it you know more about it than me, but like jedifragger ive been running 6 months without problems but i would be interested to know if a third party power brick would be better

Soldato
Likewise, been using mine for months now without issue. What impact does this ripple effect have exactly, and how would you know if you're getting a better one? I know as much about DC power supplies as I do knitting needles!

Associate
Likewise, been using mine for months now without issue. What impact does this ripple effect have exactly, and how would you know if you're getting a better one? I know as much about DC power supplies as I do knitting needles!

Its better for me if I feel more normal(health wise) after or when using it. Thats what I go for. :) visually I dont see any difference but feel more overwelmed looking at the screen and different sensations afterwards I do not like. Which is why I googled what was up with the Acer psu.

Associate
Nice one guys on getting your x34a's, enjoy, post some pics when you have them set up.

Still on the fence between the acer and asus. Did we ever find put diff between x34 and x34a, other than the new stand?

Associate
Nice one guys on getting your x34a's, enjoy, post some pics when you have them set up.

Still on the fence between the acer and asus. Did we ever find put diff between x34 and x34a, other than the new stand?

reading up about it last night online. I think it's just a refresh of the x34 for this year with fixes on the issues found on the x34.

Back
Top Bottom