Personel monitor reports for the hyper light sensitive mygrain individuals.

Associate
Ive been through many monitors, maybe you have similiar conditions to myself and hopefully by explaining my reactions to each monitor I can help others out there avoid certain pains and maybe help you find the right monitor.

I have had massive problems myself with different monitors finding the right one that gives you pain but you can live with is really really hard. Im glad to say all the suffering paid off in the end.

Monitors that gave me mygrains from worse to best (I am light sensitive to backlights or xtremely rapid flickering most can not even detect, moving pixels and pixel inversion)

Asus swift (building flicker manifestasion in vision) The inversion issue also bugs the crap out of my head and eyes. Sharp stinging pains under the eyes, very irratable. TV screen semi-transparent moving particals decresing vision by 55%) increased intensity of white. Light headedness and vomitting.

120hz acer ips, depression, slight flicker manifestasion, massive amounts of pain, physicaly looking very ill. Builds up over time. Had to sell it.

Qnix 2710 1440p AG (behind glass) like below but very itchy eyes and a lot more snow and even worse pain. It was put as glass but I knew it was AG because of the similer feelings of the above i felt during the night after, I removed the glass panel myself and that was confirmed.

Asus 144hz 24inch
Same as above

Asus 144hz g sync modified 24inch
Same as above

Qnix 2710 1440p tempered glass at 120hz felt like someone was trying to squeeze my eyes until they popped. Visual snow manifestasion. No flicker though. Burning eyes, pain sometimes not very nice at all.

4k Asus (figured higher pixel pitch might help)
Like qnix 2710 glossy but a lot milder, visual snow more like a mist of tiny sparkles.

DK2
After image burnt into my vision next day, I could see the screen flickering clearly, intense on the edge of barable pain in my head, dizzyness.

2710 1440p glossy qnix
Slighly fatigued, pain would build but go away after 1 day of not using.

G sync benq 24inch
Sharp corner eye pain, mild headache, mild depression, itchy irratating eyes. (Thats the AG I guess)

Acer 120hz (That orange one)
Slight tingling and mild pain but would build up the more I used it.

X34 current monitor
1st time I used it I felt fine until 12 the next day then in work, eye irritation, massive depression, sleepy intence pain so much I fell off my bike on the way home lol, after the high of no pain at all this totally got on my nerves as it is by far best monitor ive ever used. 2nd day even worse, 3rd day better. Had a break, took amitriptaline, did another three trys, fell asleep in work could still feel pain through meds half asleep.
Stopped meds and went for another 3 tries, itchy tingling again but no pain was waiting for all the pain to suddenly start like the first time but it never did. Man was I happy, i went on it for a month with maybe a couple of days break, i got cycles of pain and small amounts of depression but strangely apart from my eyes feeling very hot (used cold compress to cool them) i was quite comfortable, I did get sleepy during the day though. I think that moment initially in work when I went from no pain at all to massive pain hasnt happened since. Im still learning settings that give me even less issues, g sync heats my eyeballs up :/

Oled s7 edge
A little depressing feeling, irratates eyes occasionally makes me sneeze. Detected pwm myself without reading on the internet. Use it on max brightness.

2420xl? Benq
Depressive feeling in long gaming sessions. Had three, by far the least pain ive ever had using a monitor.

S5 samsung.
No issues

Sorry for spelling, no good at it.

Maybe others have had experiances with other monitors?

Im getting a cv1 rift in August. I hope its better than the dk2 in the pain threshold. We will see. (Please please be ok!)

Soldato
I had issues with CRT monitors. I didn't get migraines, of if I did they were extremely mild.

I picked up on the pwn control on some OLED phone displays as well that I annoying and distracting.

I can't see the Vive being an issue though, at least for myself as the PWM issue is more noticeable when moving my head side to side, which isn't something that you would really do with Vive. The inclination is to move your head to look rather than just eyes.

I used a Vive last year and I didn't detect any PWM strobing at least!

Associate
OP
Sounds good. Ive been meaning to try one out. I find pwm easy to detect by waving the device from side to side and seeing if it looks like frames of light instead of a trail. My razer mamba lights also do the frames of light effect and bug my eyes a little.

Soldato
It's easier to flick your eyes side to side quickly. It seems most LEDs run on PWM circuits, at least most I've come across anyway.

Man of Honour
Not sure its the same for everyone who suffers something like this but I find that monitors in the peripheral especially ones that have flicker really bad for it - being able to frame the entire display easily in my vision seems significantly more comfortable.

You may find bias lighting helps (or not) as well.

I'm not hyper sensitive to it though - if I'm really tired a poor PWM monitor (peripheral) or 60Hz CRT (either main vision or peripheral) can trigger a migraine with auras.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, that sounds bad, should you even be using computers? Sounds like your putting your self through a lot of discomfort.

Just out of curiosity do fluorescent lights cause you problems? They always look like theyre flickering to me, i imagine that would be really annoying if it gave you headaches.

@Rroff, ive always noticed stuff in the peripheral looks like its flickering on screens, i think its just cause the brain concentrates on smoothing out your focus point. I noticed it especially on my XR34 i bought this week, it has a flickering problem that is a little annoying when i looked right at it but was very annoying when my peripheral vision caught sight of it. Thats the first time a screen has given me a headache and actually made me feel ill that i can recall.

Associate
OP
I can see flicker in most flourecent lights, the frequency varies, the one downstairs in the kitchen I hate but all others are more constant. I see slight flicker in the ones at work but the glow helps to cover it up. A lot of the time with past monitors I have looked at the wallpaper behind the monitor and theres some crazy crap going on with things moving about in my vision on the wall and at work my eyes would really feel stressed out by reading details off white paper. Funny story I once saw flicker in a fluorecent light no one else could see, pointed it out and videod it in slow motion and one person saw from video it was flickering while others couldnt, just then the light blew out. To me it was crazy obvious.

Soldato
I, thank god, am not as sensitive as the OP. That said i do react to PWM flicker very heavily with major headaches bordering on migrane. 15-20 minutes is all i can take before having to rest for the day. An example would be my old old sammy s27a950d 120hz. It felt like the eyes were assaulted by tiny needles. Could reduce the effect by lowering the blue light by a good deal but it would make the image look even worse than it already did.

Back
Top Bottom