• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU For 4+ Years?

Soldato
Howdy!

I'm building a new PC in a few weeks, but as I'm going back to university as a mature student in September, I need this build to last four years at least. I may be able to add more RAM or upgrade the GPU at some point, but the base system itself has to last.

My main use is/will be gaming, but I also intend to dabble in video production (as a hobby, not in any way professionally) and I've a a lot of DVDs and CDs to transcode (yes, I'm old).

So between the non-gaming stuff, and wanting as much longevity as I can muster, I've been leaning towards an entry level hex core. From a price point, the 5820K looks appealing, or is there any argument for going with Broadwell-E? Maybe I don't need 6 cores at all and 6700K would be fine?

What do you guys think? I'll be overclocking whatever CPU I get and the price difference between 6800K, 5820K and 6700K could be overlooked for the right CPU for me.

Edit: If you need any more info let me know! Basically I'm wondering if X99 is justified for me, or should I stick with Z170!?

Last edited:
Associate
It's quite a difficult choice.

For current games the 6700K has a small edge.

But there may be more longevity in the X99 platform.
You can at least upgrade to 10 cores (extremely expensive at the moment)

Not sure if there will be any new cpu for Z170.

Can't really go wrong with either.

Hard to predict the future but both will probably be ok in 4 years.
Graphics cards won't last that long as performance is still increasing very quickly.

Man of Honour
Any of those cpu's will still be good for several years yet. We are getting smaller and smaller performance increases with each generation and I can't see that changing anytime soon. My current pc is the longest that I have ever had the same setup and I can't see anything apart from the gpu getting replaced anytime soon.

Soldato
Given your usage will be gaming, coursework (I assume) and some hobbyist editing, either platform is going to give you good results now and still be doing so in 4+ years time.

It's not just about the CPU, you need to build a balanced system you won't need to upgrade over the next 4 years (GPU aside perhaps, things move so fast in that area).

I would say go 5820k but only if it doesn't mean skimping on other parts of your build. If it does, then 6700k (or even 6600K) would be a better route. Keep the build balanced.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone. I guess I was just making sure that I wasn't subconsciously talking myself into getting a hexcore without justification :o

@Cern... good point! I have a decent budget though, so definitely won't be skimping elsewhere.

Thanks again everyone!

Associate
If it was just gaming I would say 6700k, but 5820k just tips it because you want this for a long time and you do a bit of video work

It all depends on your expectations between now and 4 years time!

Associate
As I mentioned in another thread , some recent tests have shown the quad cores to outperform their hexa-core and octa-core processors under heavy work loads in aots which is meant to be a multi-core processor friendly game and this is under dx12. So it's really going to depend on the game. Additionally z170 is a newer platform and will have a longer shelf life. And also there is the matter of integrated GPU's been utilized under dx12 for non-enthusiast grade processors. These are all matter which seem to have gone under the radar when people are suggesting 5820k's for all. The only reason I would go with the hexa-core is if I was doing heavy rendering or multi-tasking or if money wasn't a concern. In my mind quad cores will be on the scene for a fair bit longer when it comes to gaming.

Associate
Thanks everyone. I guess I was just making sure that I wasn't subconsciously talking myself into getting a hexcore without justification :o

@Cern... good point! I have a decent budget though, so definitely won't be skimping elsewhere.

Thanks again everyone!

I'd say any modern I5 like the 6600k but the 5820k or 6800k would give you the chance of outperforming with DX12 and vulkan allowing more threads to be used. Right now I'm using a CPU from 09 and it's running fine.

Back
Top Bottom