• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from i7 3930k @ 4.4Ghz to i7 6950X

Soldato
I'm seriously considering upgrading my system a year early for various reasons and because I'll be doing a lot of video editing and rendering I want a CPU with the most amount of threads as possible hence the desire to get an i7 6950X. I will be playing a lot of games but I think if I can overclock the 6950X to 4.2Ghz it should be fine for most of the stuff that I want to play.

Most of the games I play are not that graphically intensive and I doubt they need that much CPU. So what do you think? Will a 6950X be a decent upgrade for me from a 3930k? Ideally I'd like this system to last me 5 years plus.

Soldato
I would keep what you have. I seriously doubt the 6950X would make sense coming from the 3930K. I'm not sure what GPU you're using but for rendering and editing it would make far more sense to upgrade that first.

Soldato
If you're using Adobe CC or Blender you're good to go :) You'll have great results with your current rig. I know the itch becomes difficult to not scratch after a while, but you'd best keeping what you have, save the cash or spend it on something else.

Soldato
OP
If you're using Adobe CC or Blender you're good to go :) You'll have great results with your current rig. I know the itch becomes difficult to not scratch after a while, but you'd best keeping what you have, save the cash or spend it on something else.

Ah cool :). Yeah I'll be upgrading to Adobe CC in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice.

I just wish when I had bought this system that I had chosen a case that was easier to move. This one is just so large and so heavy it is a nightmare to take it anywhere.

Soldato
At the point where a program can use 10 cores you are much better off going with a xeon. They still turbo pretty high when only using a few cores and you can get a 14 core xeon for about the same price as a 6950x.

Soldato
OP
You could always use this as an opportunity to switch cases too. ;)

Yeah I considered that but I decided to ask my brother in law for help who is much stronger than me. He seems to be able to lift it without any major problems.

Or some bolt on wheels :)

I've got some wheels in the loft as it happens. Totally forgot about those but when you put the wheels on the case is so high it doesn't fit under a standard desk.

Back
Top Bottom