Wi-Fi Powerline Adapter query

Associate
Hi all

I'm just after a little advice really on how powerline adapters work, and how your connection is capable of hopping between access points in the home.

I own the TP-LINK TL-WPA4220TKIT AV500 which has 2 wireless adapters. One I have located within the kitchen, and one in the living room the other side of the house.
My main router/modem lives in the study, and I have used the Wi-Fi clone feature on the powerline adapters to allow my devices to connect to any wi-fi point in the home.

Now my query is, my device can connect just fine to each of the points, but the issue I've been finding is my devices being able to connect to the nearest Wi-Fi point. i.e. If i connect to the kitchen Wi-Fi hotspot, then walk into the living room, rather than connecting seamlessly to the living room Wi-Fi hotspot, it tries to cling onto the connection from the kitchen giving me slow speeds.

The only way I can then connect to the nearest Wi-Fi point is if I turn Wi-Fi off on my device and turn it back on again.

Anyone using Wi-Fi Powerline Adapters with clone functionality experience the same thing?

Soldato
Now my query is, my device can connect just fine to each of the points, but the issue I've been finding is my devices being able to connect to the nearest Wi-Fi point. i.e. If i connect to the kitchen Wi-Fi hotspot, then walk into the living room, rather than connecting seamlessly to the living room Wi-Fi hotspot, it tries to cling onto the connection from the kitchen giving me slow speeds.

This is an age-old problem unfortunately. It's up to the client to switch efficiently, or the access points to actively hand the clients over (802.11r/802.11k).

You could try to reduce the amount of overlap between the access points so your clients are forced to switch more often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom