***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
OP
90 PPI for me. I don't think 86 would be much different though...

Also, don't forget that sitting/viewing distance plays a big part in sharpness/clarity i.e. the closer you are to the screen, the more you will notice the pixels, the further you sit back, the sharper the display will look.

With these UW screens especially the 34+" ones, you will want to be sitting quite far back in order to really appreciate the 21.9 aspect ratio, at least I find that to be the base even with a 29" one...

As for dropping to a non native res. Read through the hardforum link, the guy does a good comparison between 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 on a 34" display

https://hardforum.com/threads/34-21...0-aoc-u3477pqu.1827296/page-2#post-1041126330

Man of Honour
2560x1080 for gaming on a 34" that supports 3440x1440 is no issue at all, perfectly sharp. I play BF1 at 2560x1080 with ultra settings and AA. At 3440x1440 my 4GB VRAM reaches its limits, so 2560x1080 it is. I wouldn't use it for desktop though as there's really no need to sacrifice desktop real-estate.

Soldato
90 PPI for me. I don't think 86 would be much different though...

Also, don't forget that sitting/viewing distance plays a big part in sharpness/clarity i.e. the closer you are to the screen, the more you will notice the pixels, the further you sit back, the sharper the display will look.

With these UW screens especially the 34+" ones, you will want to be sitting quite far back in order to really appreciate the 21.9 aspect ratio, at least I find that to be the base even with a 29" one...

As for dropping to a non native res. Read through the hardforum link, the guy does a good comparison between 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 on a 34" display

https://hardforum.com/threads/34-21...0-aoc-u3477pqu.1827296/page-2#post-1041126330

Thanks. I checked out that link, and it looks promising but it's hard to form a good opinion/decision from photos, which is why I've asked you knowledgeable folks' opinions also :)

I'm currently about 3' away from the screen, but once I've build my desk 'extension' to solidy mount my HOTAS to, I'll probably be about 3.5-4' away which will only help in improving any low PPI.

Caporegime
OP
Did you try messing with HUD settings?

S16ceyN.png

Someone said:

The crosshair was fine for me, then again I'm playing in 21:9. Try playing with the HUD X and Y coordinates in FWS. Unfortunately it's a lot of trial and error.
Also, make sure your HUD resolution is 16:9 or 16:10 and fits inside of your native resolution.

And on a separate reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/2vww5k/2560x1080_mass_effect_1_problems/conb39e/

Hey oxidseven. Thank you so much for the heads up! I adapted your technique and used a similiar setting for my 3440x1440 screen. Settings are: Hud Width: 1920, Hud Height: 1440, Hud X: 760 (this feels right for me, crosshair is now nicely lined up with bulletholes.) Hud Y: 0 . Let me know if this works for you QHD Monitor guys out there or if you even have a better solution. Only cons i see so far is that the huds color scheme clips off left and right but i think thats okay for what was achieved already :).

That is for mass effect 2 though but it might work for ME 1

Soldato
Is it not driving anyone else mad at the lack of choice 21:9 30"+ Gsync monitor market? There are only 2 screens that fit my requirements and they're both £1100+!!

Are we likely to see any more choice, or even just a decent price drop in the near future? I really want the Asus option, but man it's expensive.

Soldato
The issue with ME, and I have tried to play around with it a lot. I can get the gun targeting reticle lined up nicely......BUT

the reticle that indicates the locations of pickups and NPCS is wayyyy off. I have found no way to fix this.

Soldato
Is it not driving anyone else mad at the lack of choice 21:9 30"+ Gsync monitor market? There are only 2 screens that fit my requirements and they're both £1100+!!

Are we likely to see any more choice, or even just a decent price drop in the near future? I really want the Asus option, but man it's expensive.

I share your frustration. There is the HP OMEN X 35 on the way, but no idea what price that is going to be... likely the same. There's also LG's 38" panel which may find it's way in to a G-Sync model at some point, plus they do have a 144Hz version due in 2017/2018. Samsung also have a 34" G-Sync on the way, but that is a VA panel. LG also have faster 34" panels in their pipeline, but production on those hasn't even started yet. So it's a waiting game for now.

Soldato
I share your frustration. There is the HP OMEN X 35 on the way, but no idea what price that is going to be... likely the same. There's also LG's 38" panel which may find it's way in to a G-Sync model at some point, plus they do have a 144Hz version due in 2017/2018. Samsung also have a 34" G-Sync on the way, but that is a VA panel. LG also have faster 34" panels in their pipeline, but production on those hasn't even started yet. So it's a waiting game for now.

Yeah I know the feeling. The £1100 Asus is perfect, spec wise, but I could have a whole new PC for that. I have no problem spending £600 or so as I spent a lot of a time at my PC, but spending over a grand is starting to push all the lies I can tell myself to justify it ha.

I'm not that fussed about HDR so fingers crossed that when that new latest and greatest tech arrives, Gsync will be become more norm and less premium and we'll we see price drops. The only screen I'm really holding out for atm is Acer's 21:9 1080p 29.7" panel, but I fear ~30" super wide will feel too small coming from a 32" 16:9.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I know the feeling. The £1100 Asus is perfect, spec wise, but I could have a whole new PC for that. I have no problem spending £600 or so as I spent a lot of a time at my PC, but spending over a grand is starting to push all the lies I can tell myself to justify it ha.

I'm not that fussed about HDR so fingers crossed that when that new latest and greatest tech arrives, Gsync will be become more norm and less premium and we'll we see price drops. The only screen I'm really holding out for atm is Acer's 21:9 1080p 29.7" panel, but I fear ~30" super wide will feel too small coming from a 32" 16:9.

Well you could justify the 1000 price tag if you were guaranted picture perfect/no dead pixels/no bleed/no glow. Otherwise its like playing the lotto i feel.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well you could justify the 1000 price tag if you were guarantee picture perfect/no dead pixels/no bleed/no glow. Otherwise its like playing the lotto i feel.

Even if all that was guaranteed not to be a problem, £1000+ is still a rip off. Personally I consider any current monitor costing more than £600 to be a rip off.

Current monitor tech. is just down right crap and ancient now and what's even sadder is that we won't see any exciting new tech. such as full array local dimming, HDR until the end of the year and those are going to be costing at least £1500...

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my Asus pg348q and it's perfect apart from one thing when I was checking it over.
y3mvOGwf4YdB-w2rEVmN3-W5QFaa_o8hmvSbqsR1Gf52GW1XR75-o6RbMHIiyrML6BK6ooBByAY9vmqmI_RppehTSq2WYshhympQYNwfd18Ovgz6gOUa2FLnVWvt64LE2SA647IN1_VQvQU5qQjafbxIBa4yjZmHZjvnqAj7g9sALI
y3mmuaRQD1CHEuQpghcOLehseIobYoO-WFNxsGj_lK9EazQqYz37wI4Bvu5eR07lFV-P0qlQMezSK97A5Px92kBAIHBwFhMpw44bkam1moNe5ps9DxBpJC-N8sbATAhPgpHiLJtQn1UztU-6jSMbOKN6OUBHs2H9jXrNghfa4QgGwU

It's like a bug or dirt or dust. a lot more noticeable on white and lighter backgrounds but there at all times. I've tried tapping gently and rubbing with cloth buts its clearly behind the screen. What do you think?

Last edited:
Associate
You are correct there, I would be constantly looking for it. Someone on another forum said to try a suction cup on the area if it is a bug. I haven't got one but I was was round my parents for dinner at the time and she said to use dad's p***s pump. Sorry to post that but I found that hilarious. Especially if it worked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom