• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problems with R9 Nano

Associate
Hey! Got my XFX R9 Nano this morning but the computer is shutting down pretty much instantly when I start games. Kernel-Power 41 errors. Any ideas? This is my spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa
Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: 650W Corsair VS

I'm guessing power supply but I was under the impression 650W should be more than enough. Does a Nano require more juice than a 280X?

Soldato
I would hazard a guess @ PSU issue
as i use to get this issue and it went away when i upgraded PSU.

also, your asking a question with the answer already :D if the computer is giving a power error and your pc is shutting down when you put load on the graphics card = PSU

Associate
OP
I would hazard a guess @ PSU issue
also, your asking a question with the answer already :D if the computer is giving a power error and your pc is shutting down when you put load on the graphics card = PSU

I'm only asking as its a new graphics card and it would be a bit of a coincidence if the power supply has suddenly failed when it was fine powering a 280x a couple of hours ago.

Soldato
I'm only asking as its a new graphics card and it would be a bit of a coincidence if the power supply has suddenly failed when it was fine powering a 280x a couple of hours ago.

Well the issue is defo PSU error issue
put the 280x back in and overclock it then test it and see if you get the same error.
if you dont, = GPU power issue on the nano card.

also make sure your not daisy chaining the 8pin power connectors, make sure those 8pin connectors are not linked.

Associate
Google says its timeout related, so it could be cause by power/psu issue, or faulty gpu, or a driver not playing nice.

Soldato
Well the issue is defo PSU error issue
put the 280x back in and overclock it then test it and see if you get the same error.
if you dont, = GPU power issue on the nano card.

also make sure your not daisy chaining the 8pin power connectors, make sure those 8pin connectors are not linked.

As above, confirm your using an 8 pin PCI-E power connection to the card and that it's seated properly.

I'd then advise asking friends etc if they have a spare PSU you can borrow to test with.

Corsair PSU's have been terrible the last few years, since they changed OEM to use cheaper components etc.

What power connections did your 280X use? 8pin and 6pin?

Associate
OP
As above, confirm your using an 8 pin PCI-E power connection to the card and that it's seated properly.

I'd then advise asking friends etc if they have a spare PSU you can borrow to test with.

Corsair PSU's have been terrible the last few years, since they changed OEM to use cheaper components etc.

What power connections did your 280X use? 8pin and 6pin?

Yep, 8 pin and 6 pin for the 280x. So just using the same 8 pin I used for the 280 with the Nano

Soldato
If it's shutting down without a restart then it's a power issue either the power connector on the GPU isn't working correctly or power pcie cable or the power supply has failed.

If the pc is auto restarting then it could be something else.

Try reseat the pcie cables make sure they firmly connected, also do check GPU temps just incase the GPU is over heating also check CPU for temp also.

Associate
OP
A driver won't shut down a pc it will however bsod or restart the pc.. A full shut down is power issue.

It shuts down and then starts up again about 2 seconds later.

I've just tried swapping it into the other PCI Express slot but same problem. Reinstalled the drivers 3 times - same problem. Tried taking the soundcard out. No change.

Was really looking forward to a bit of American Truck Sim tonight too :( Ha ha

Back
Top Bottom