Intel i7 6700K OC :) 4.9Ghz...

Associate
So, with this new rig and build I've managed to reach 4.9Ghz stable overclock with core voltage at 1.36 ALMOST had it at 5Ghz but it cuts out and re-boots/hangs under load.

Idle temps with standard H100i GTX in push only mode are 25-30 degrees depending on room's temperature and under load 60-65 degrees (celsius)

standard side intake 200mm fan, and two smaller 120mm intakes + front 140mm intake and rear 120mm exhaust.

To get that speed and temps the fans were running around 1800rpm on the cooler and intakes/exhaust varying from 1000rpm for the large fans and1500rpm for the smaller fans.

However! me being the big ol' worrywart I've clocked it down a notch to 4.6Ghz just enough to get the rather fiddly corsair vengeance DDR4 RAM to run at 3000Mhz, at slower CPU speeds it just hangs at post and will not boot. but lower the RAM speed to 2133Mhz and lower stock CPU speed all boots well.

Rather annoying to be honest but it is what it is! :)

Soldato
That's a nice OC!

I'm building one now. I know nothing about overclocking, so if you don't mind I might be asking for some guidance. 'p

Associate
OP
why dont you just give it a bit more voltage so it runs stable at 4.9ghz?

amped up the voltage to 1.400V Adaptive mode with max at 1.4100V with the processor speed at 4.8Ghz as 4.9Ghz was getting temps of 80-87c which is way too high for my liking.

just need to see what temps are like at 4.8Ghz, so far so good though

congrats and benchmarks ?

haven't quite ran any benchmark software yet though it has been running for quite some time at 30c idle temp and max in demanding games and taxing rendering is 65-70 or there abouts

That's a nice OC!

I'm building one now. I know nothing about overclocking, so if you don't mind I might be asking for some guidance. 'p

haha I'm still fairly new to it myself if I'm being totally honest!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Whats the stepping of the CPU?

Sounds like that chip could easily hit 5Ghz+ with a little TLC.

only just seen this reply, been busy busy!

according to CPU-Z it's > Stepping 3 Revision R0

I've got the chip running stable and cool at 4.7Ghz and voltage at 1.3V - managed to get it running at a lower voltage to keep the chip alive a little longer :)

it did run at 4.9Ghz with a slightly higher voltage and standard base-clock frequency but I've not had the guts to go higher with it as under-load the temps were high

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's on the chip. Most seem to be SR2B but Intel also make an SR2C and SR2L.

Ah! I just went by what CPU-Z had listed, going to change the thermal paste from the stock stuff that corsair supplies with the pump/rad just shortly anyway so will have a look and take note of it ;)

excuse my incompetence I've been with AMD up until now really

Soldato
Ah! I just went by what CPU-Z had listed, going to change the thermal paste from the stock stuff that corsair supplies with the pump/rad just shortly anyway so will have a look and take note of it ;)

excuse my incompetence I've been with AMD up until now really

Cheers.

The only thing that could tempt me into an upgrade before AMD release Zen, would be 6000 chip that could push well past 5Ghz on air.

Associate
OP
Cheers.

The only thing that could tempt me into an upgrade before AMD release Zen, would be 6000 chip that could push well past 5Ghz on air.

no problem, sorry for late reply been out all day, just changed the thermal paste to some ceramique 2, my old tried and tested favorite and it's a solid 5-7 degree's cooler on load and 3-4 cooler on idle - idle temps now sitting at 17-22 or there abouts with fans on low-speed.

as for the stepping/rev number you asked for if I mind right it said SR20 or SR20L on the chip ? didn't write down what it said (doh) it's something along those lines anyway

pretty certain it was SR20L though

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nice cpu, delid it, then you'll hit 5G ;) what is the cpu's voltage at stock in bios?

not sure what you mean by delid it, sorry! stock voltage at stock 4Ghz speed or turbo boost 4.2Ghz runs at 1.25V

with my slight overclock it's voltage sits happily at 1.3V or to be exact - 1.312V in the bios :)

as said it was running at 4.9Ghz but with a higher voltage of 1.36V or there abouts but over the little bit of time I've had it I've got it running slightly lower than that now just so the temps aren't sky high!

right now it's running at 4.7Ghz - 1.3V just so the temps are still cool + voltage isn't too high, want this very pricy chip to last some time haha

maybe with push-pull setup instead of just my push-setup it would hit 5Ghz but I'm not so sure yet, it was quite hot at 4.9Ghz..

Last edited:
Soldato
Delidding a CPU is just removing the metal heat spreader that square metal thing on the top of the CPU. Sometimes the contact between the top of the core and the heat spreader aint great so you get bad temps. It voids the warranty though so only do it if you dont mind that.

Soldato
Push pull will not make a differance, your chip sounds similar to mine on ambient and after 4.9ghz it will most likely need a big push in volts but heat is your enemy with these with the stock TIM, there is a tool available to delid in a safe manor and will not harm the cpu, replace the TIM with liquid metal or conductonaut and you will see upto a 20c reduction in temps under load.

Associate
OP
Delidding a CPU is just removing the metal heat spreader that square metal thing on the top of the CPU. Sometimes the contact between the top of the core and the heat spreader aint great so you get bad temps. It voids the warranty though so only do it if you dont mind that.

oh! not sure I like the sound of that, thanks for the info.

Push pull will not make a differance, your chip sounds similar to mine on ambient and after 4.9ghz it will most likely need a big push in volts but heat is your enemy with these with the stock TIM, there is a tool available to delid in a safe manor and will not harm the cpu, replace the TIM with liquid metal or conductonaut and you will see upto a 20c reduction in temps under load.

hmm thanks the advice and info but I think I'll just stick to how it is, not got the tools, skills or materials needed to do such a thing to my CPU, quite happy with it as is ;)

Back
Top Bottom