*** lumia 640 & 640xl ***

Soldato
Installed Windows 10 on my 640XL last night. Really happy with the result - the hesitation or slight jerkiness I was getting when returning to the home screen has gone completely. Phone feels much better, and so far it seems that everything still works. I love the fact that there is a lot of similarity with my desktop Windows 10.

Separately - I also resolved the issue I was getting with the compass being confused from time to time. I stopped putting my Oyster card in the same pocket as my phone, and I haven't had that since.

Associate
I think the same.

WP10 is just taking too long. Too much doesn't work on WP8. Or is buggy on both WP8/10.

My 2yr Lumia is as fast as the day is was bought. But all the stuff I didn't like is pretty much the same as when I bought it.
Gotta agree with you there. It's definitely my favourite phone OS by quite a distance but the support so far is desperately lacking with nothing more but promises after promises.

Soldato
Yes WP10 is taking too long, but on my 640XL I joined the Insider program and took the gamble and installed it anyway. WP10 is ready - it is pre-installed on the 550 and 950 already. All that we are waiting on is compatibility testing on all the different models. On an older Lumia I'd wait for the official upgrade, but on the recent 640XL I installed it, and I'm glad I did. I'm in love with my phone all over again.

Soldato
I think most people that want W10M are just going to get it via insider or by getting a new phone. I have a 950XL (insider 10586.71) also a 930 & 920 running insider.

But I agree they should get the official update out of the door much quicker, I feel the .71 build is much better than previous versions. Also going forward I think reducing the range of phones down will help with getting the updates out faster.

Soldato
WP10 in general gets poor reviews as being not ready. I think they need to fix it on the devices it's released on. I've got a 640 to try it again. It was unusable on my 520.

Soldato
The worry is if they abandon their older cheaper devices they lose the majority of their current user base. Which is a problem for attracting developers to universal apps.

Soldato
It is working very well on my 640XL, better than Windows 8.1, so I don't agree that it "isn't ready" as a general statement. Several months ago I tried it on my 625 and back then it was a disaster. It has come a long way since then.

Soldato
I was more referring to the release on the 950 & 950XL which has been widely slated. Most have commented it runs better on their 640/XL, 830, 930. I must try it the 640 I have.

Soldato
OK good point, yes I did see some criticism of the out of box installation on the 950. Fortunately the updates since then have improved things a lot.

Soldato
On 640 my Gmail isn't showing email more than a few says old. I can see them ok on an Android phone. Is there a setting for this on WP10.

Associate
On 640 my Gmail isn't showing email more than a few says old. I can see them ok on an Android phone. Is there a setting for this on WP10.

I am still on 8.1, but I presume it will be the same.

You probably have it set to "last 7 days" on the phone.

Gmail - 3 dots - settings - sync settings.

Soldato
Mine's definitely weak. I keep missing things. I think the haptic feedback is stronger. My 520 is better and the Moto E2 we have is vastly stronger.

Man of Honour
OP
Boo, halfway through a phone call and it suddenly goes silent. Internal speaker seems to have stopped working totally, if I turn it to speaker it's fine.

Rubbish, see what's announced at mwc and see if I can find the Argos receipt and see if they'll change it on the spot.

Edit - fixed, connected and disconnected headphones a few times, must have thought headphones where in. Hope it's not going to keep doing this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom