PC sometimes shutdown out of nowhere?

Soldato
So 3 times now my comp has done this. I will be working away at whatever and BOOM. completely and utterly shuts off. No bluescreen, nothing, just complete and utter power outage.

When I switch it back on I get this message,

DSC_1001.jpg

Now even though is says my overclock has failed. personally I don't think this is anything to do with my overclock. My overclock can handle hours of stress testing and these outages have happened at random times, never when doing anything particularly stressful. (last one I was just browsing Steam.

It says in the message things have been reset but as far as I can tell they havent. My overclock is still there. Weird?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Reset your BIOS and see if it still happens.

If it still happens, I'd wager a guess it's the PSU failing.

Associate
depending on setup overclocks can be unstable when not under load or when transitioning to/from load - being stable while hammered hard doesn't make it stable all the time unfortunately.

Soldato
A friend of mine recently stripped his PC and sold it for parts because it kept randomly turning off.

After his new one was doing exactly the same, he discovered it was a faulty kettle lead...

Might be worth a try.

Associate
That is a slim possibility that and worth a try. A mate of mine had a similar issue with an a old single core 939 system years ago he swapped everything about with me and others out of their PC's and the only thing that was left was his motherboard, sorry to say. He upgraded so we never found out for sure but all of the guts of his PC worked in mine and another's, so it had to be really.

Associate
I had a similar error on my PC - swapped the PSU out seemed to fix it, but also had to replace RAM as one of the memory sticks failed. Still unsure whether it was the PSU or Mem that caused the problem initially or whether the RAM got damaged when the PSU failed.

Soldato
When my last psu died it killed my mobo, The power kept cutting out then when I restarted the bios was corrupted, eventually the mobo just quit.

Soldato
OP
You have removed the overclock, right?

I havent, I'll tell you why, because it used to be 99% stable (for months) at 4.5Ghz 1.22v (It failed only once after very long stress)

I've run it at 4.4Ghz 1.22v ever since I am completely certain it's completely stable. I'm really sure its mega stable. Ill remove the clock tomorrow when I boot it cold. But I don't think its the clock.

Associate
I had the very same problem on my current PC (new build in near future).
After stripping and rebuilding a number of times it was ok for a few days then started to do the same again.
In the end I took the CPU cooler of processor, cleaned both cooler and processor connections with Isopropyl alcohol. Bought some decent thermal paste and refitted the cooler. Not had a problem since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom