• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fm2 processors good for games?

Soldato
Just picked up a zoomstorm setup, well only the tower is zoostorm, for £30 and despite the model number giving 2 choices, the seller told me it was an Intel system which would've been a G series 1155, but opening the case in the car after I purchased I noticed what looked like a amd heatsink and closer inspection shows a MSI A55M-P33 which turns out to be FM2 which is what I was hoping was the one as I've been wanting one, however going by what I read this one should have the A4 3300 installed, got 4gb ddr3 1333 which is nice.

Anyways it comes with 8.1, but I will downgrade that, just I was wondering if this socket is any good for games be it old or modern?

Soldato
OP
All of the range or just the a4? What about as htpc?

I only needed the monitor and biits for a computer I'm selling. But I'm interested in seeing what fm2 can do,

Soldato
OP
All of the range or just the a4? What about as htpc?

I only needed the monitor and biits for a computer I'm selling. But I'm interested in seeing what fm2 can do,

Associate
isn't the a10 series fm2? I had the a8 5600k and could play battlefield,,dirt rally,,hawken etc at over 40fps with gtx 750 ti on high settings with un important things low,,,not as bad as people make out,,,my Athlon now does quite well with gtx 960,,,can get 70fps average on dirt rally benchmark with most things on ultra and think the Athlon is fm2+

Soldato
Old stuff (pre-2010) it might cope ok with. I remember looking at some benchmarks a while back whilst considering getting an FM2 CPU and seeing Street Fighter IV running ok, for example. Metro 2033 and Mafia 2, on the other hand, it didn't get on top of.

2D indie games will run fine.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies..

Hmm there seems to be 2 variants of that board then, I just typed in the model and went with the first it came up with which was FM2, but you may be right with the am1 as I sworn I saw a4 3300, but zoostorm specs are limited.

This is what model they told me before I purchased.

zoostorm 7910 4285 A

Either way I made a thread about a htpc build and I was talking about AM1, whether this A4 would've been in the mix, but I was setting sites on the sempron quad, I suppose I best fire this computer up and get cpu z installed lol as I haven't had chance yet.

If it is fm2 then I have seen a used A6 6400k for £15 and keeping an eye on a 6670 for £20, but zoostorm power supplies are weak from the readings, 300w with 12a on the +12 lol, so might have to shoe horn my vs 350 in or sell that supply for a better one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
a4 3300, is a FM1 CPU for sure.

Interested to see what CPUz Says you have, but if it's FM1 then it's HTPC level at best, forget any modern games.

Ha well tbh I have onto been looking say one of these spec motherboards for that purpose and to try older games on it, however I will need xp 64bit for that to have more guarantee of working lol, but I did notice in the support list for am1 it has a variety of a6/a8/a10 that are not the K range so keeps to the 65w tdp which would work with the zoostorm psu, but I suppose those wouldn't be much improved for games either??

Associate
Ha well tbh I have onto been looking say one of these spec motherboards for that purpose and to try older games on it, however I will need xp 64bit for that to have more guarantee of working lol, but I did notice in the support list for am1 it has a variety of a6/a8/a10 that are not the K range so keeps to the 65w tdp which would work with the zoostorm psu, but I suppose those wouldn't be much improved for games either??

Assume you mean FM1 rather than AM1?

This is a useful page for seeing the benchmark results for cpus by socket. on FM1 the a8 3870 looks to be the best chip but it's still very under powered compared to something more modern or even an old Phenom x4 AM3+ chip

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/socketType.html#id13

Soldato
OP
There is an am1 isn't there, but this computer is actually an FM1.

Looks like the computer was reset as I did the installation, but not connected to internet yet to activate which means my cpu z and gpu z are not the latest versions.

Hopefully these work as I'm using my phone..

http://rs1111.pbsrc.com/albums/h471...s/image_zpsxsi4onbo.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

http://rs1111.pbsrc.com/albums/h471...s/image_zpsyvb5sjog.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

http://rs1111.pbsrc.com/albums/h471...s/image_zpsnlaepwvn.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Soldato
OP

That's e33 mine is p33, but yes they do seem to make an fm1 and fm2 and in turn I have the fm1 which is not all bad, I wouldn't have planned to go beyond 16gb anyways so ram wise works out okay and that will be my next step, getting either a 2gb or 4gb stick and still a good level of upgraded processors.

The zoostorm power supply won't be enough for he 100w tdp processors will it whether I hybrid X fire or not?

Soldato
OP
Zoostorm LPA-300C

It's original power supply, but being a 300w and only 12A on the +12 I would imagine I could only stick to 65w processors which is what the 3300 is whether extra ram will make a difference, will only stick to 1333 save buying 2 sticks over one as its got single 4gb.

I do have 350w vs corsair going spare, but was going to sell that to upgrade or just for the money.

Last edited:
Associate
300W and 12A on the 12V rail = 144W overall on the 12V rail. Sorry to use an American term, but that PSU screams total utter garbage to me. I wonder if CiT had a contract with Zoostorm!

Anyway, as an office PC, it'll be fine. In order to put in a separate graphics card, you're going to need to swap out the PSU. According to the Corsair website, the VS350 can output 25A on the 12V rail. That should be enough for a basic GFX card.

Back
Top Bottom