Can you only deal with memory timings/speeds in bios?

Soldato
Don't know whether that's a daft question, but normally I don't have issues with ram that isn't either a faulty stick or not compatible and google searching doesn't seem to get the exact answer I'm looking for.

Basically I have a old Packard bell iMedia type micro tower and other than the graphics card it's all originally and as such it has a gigabyte branded board designed specifically for it which also as such sports a 775 P4, now when I do find some info on the board it says it supports 4gb ddr2 PC 4200 via 2 slots, also read it supports 667, now I purchased in total 4gb of 800mhz ram starting with 2 X 1gb sticks and a single 2gb and happily the computer seems to support the speed, however it only works with a 512mb 4200 stick installed aswell that came with it.

I thought this was odd, so I tried the other 1gb stick which was identical to the other 800mhz one and nothing just constant annoying beeps from push of the button(did this with just 1gb stick) so for the sake of it. Tried the 2gb stick and same beeps however if I have the 512mb installed too it will run, but won't show 2.5gb in bios, so that rules that out.

Nothing is wrong with the ram as they work in the dell which at the time I only put 3gb of the 800mhz with 2x512mb 444 which gives no issues, even shows 4gb(max) in bios which in itself is great because I am in a dilemma which to keep, but selling it or keeping the PB just won't cut it with only 1.5gb even for general and it's frustrating me this issue.

There doesn't seem to be an option for altering the fsb/ram stuff in bios which is why I'm wondering if I might be able to do something about it via Windows? There must be a reason why 2 fast sticks won't work or either 800mhz won't work without the slower ram being installed at the same time???? Only reason I don't have 444 or 667 installed is because used shop only had the faster and I wasn't in a position to wait.

Associate
The BIOS on pre-built systems i.e. Dell/HP/PB etc tend to be very limited as to what the end user can do so you probably can't adjust the speed.

444 is a bit weird, as there has never been a 444MHz speed!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies.

Sorry the 444 came off the original memory stick, it said pc2 4200u 444, but the 800 sticks say 666 at the end of theirs???? I'm not really clued up on ram, but I know some 667 types will actually say '667' on the label as with many other speed types, just not in this instance.

I've swapped hard drives so will have to reinstall cpu-z, however.........

I have seen mix specs of this motherboard, but this is my board model and this is probably the more accurate specification and seeing this I must've got it mixed up with another version of the board as this supports 2gb, would make sense for my 2gb stick, but not for 2 single sticks? Keep the PB the board will get replaced eventually, obviously that's not right now so would like 2gb memory.

Soldato
OP
Aha you could be right then, just I don't know timings for ram, but I assume that can throw the memory out if they don't match then?

However what I want to know is if I have 2 identical sticks(not a kit) broth same brand etc then surely they must work together? I am finding it difficult to find cheap enough 667 or 533 memory so determined to make what I have work lol

Associate
If they're identical sticks, so same speed and timings, then in theory they should work together. In practice, that's not always the case though! If the timings are different, it may run at the slower speed, but you can also get incompatibilities.

DDR2 is seriously old stuff now, so I'm not surprised you're having problems.

Bear in mind that you're limited to 2GB with that system.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for reply.

Yeah I was hoping that be the case, but sadly not, as I said it will only work with 800mhz if the original speed stick is installed with it which is a confusingly stupid thing and back to the actually spec, if the board only supports 2gb then how would the single 2gb stick work :confused:, granted bios only read 2 and not 2.5, but surely it shouldn't have even run full stop lol.

Yeah ddr2 is old, but I never get my hands on ddr3 platforms often and I know where I can get it reasonably cheap if they have any in stock, I'm guessing Packard bell are funny fcukers as its been awhile since I had one, but least it accepts my r7 240 unlike the dell I suppose lol.

I am really in a dilemma which in away is sad lol as they both really old systems, but both would be ideal in different ways, I wish the dell had a better psu as I think if I keep it I'm going to have to look around Radeon 3 or 4 series or like a 8600gt, but while it's better than the PB currently, the PB has better upgrade potential in the sense of a better motherboard etc. But this whole ram thing is really frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom