Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
How about getting 3 of these plus 3 extra cameras, have one of the boxes plugged into a master 3G router, and the other 2 boxes connected to a slave and secondary router to have them linked together.

2 of these locations is around 15 metres apart, and from 1 of the 2 locations to the 3rd, is around 30 metres. So I'll probably have to hook the routers up to an external antenna of some sort

5rbfZSd.png

Crude image of the layout!

Last edited:

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Just got 2 of the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet cameras and hooked them up to my synology surveillance station and i must say i am impressed. Motion detection set to use the camera and surveillance station picks up the recording just fine. Really impressed, i am looking at adding another 2 cameras to my setup another DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet and a DS-2CD2142FWD-I dome for the front door.

The only downside is the £40+ you have to pay per extra license to use on surveillance station. Had looked at a stand alone Hikvision NVR but i like the low power synology system setup so think i'll end up biting the bullet on the additional £80 for the 2 licenses.

Is anyone running these cameras on an inside window?

Soldato
Can someone spec me a wifi home cctv system, that can maybe run from my pc or maybe separately.

3 or 4 cameras that will be inside on the window cills

For recording inside or outside?

If you're planning on pointing them out, then night footage will be terrible (see above)

Associate
Looking at getting a CCTV system for outside our house, as too many of our cars (street parking) have been scratched and dinked far too often now with no idea who did it or when, so looking for something that will easily see car registrations (cars are parked about 20 feet from the front door). I saw some of these Hikky 1080p cameras that look really good, that are supposed to be great for outdoor use (and the YouTube vids looked high quality too). Plan is for 3 cameras, 1 facing the cars, the others for cars coming/leaving. Recording 24/7.

The DS-2CD2142FWD-I's seem to do the trick, these are just POE I take it ? A POE switch would work ? Just a little confused as the selections out there are numerous. Just hope someone can point me in the right direction. What kind of questions should be I be asking ?

Associate
POE switch will work

any Reason you chose a dome over a turret ?

Just make sure you chose the correct focal lenght lens - if it's too wide you won't be able to see the detail

Soldato
Hi guys,

After a number of burglaries in the local area, my friends have asked me to find a CCTV system for their house that is quite... different:

- they do not have internet there so no cloud recording stuff - must be local storage
- must be wireless as they don't want to route cables
- must be outdoor
- and be able to record at night
- handle up to 5 cameras
- max £1000

I was looking at the netgear arlo system, as it looked perfect apart from the cloud recording

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Associate
POE switch will work

any Reason you chose a dome over a turret ?

Just make sure you chose the correct focal lenght lens - if it's too wide you won't be able to see the detail

Only reason was it looks slightly less obvious we have a camera setup, no idea what the differences are between the 2. Really need to do more research on it.

Associate
So hopefully I'm thinking straight, If i get 3 IP cameras (with POE), connect them to a POE switch, which is connected to my network, I can then use the software they (hopefully) provide on any PC in the house (on the network) to view and record footage, the PC basically acting as the receiver ?

Associate
Can you elaborate?

So hopefully I'm thinking straight, If i get 3 IP cameras (with POE), connect them to a POE switch, which is connected to my network, I can then use the software they (hopefully) provide on any PC in the house (on the network) to view and record footage, the PC basically acting as the receiver ?

Yes, just watch the distance from the POE switch and use good quality cables (none of that CCA nonsense)

Soldato
At night you get a REALLY bad IR reflection from the window

That's what I thought you meant, but I wouldn't just blanket it and say it won't work :)

Simple solution... you can manually switch the IR light on or off. I've ran Hiks on the inside of a window for years without issue. I set the day/night profiles to ramp up the brightness after a certain time. Worked pretty well but obviously it depends on the available light from street/security lighting.

Last edited:
Soldato

You will have to ensure that the hdd's you record to are up to the job.
With the Hikvision set up I have I find accessing the cameras through a web page to be more than adequate.

Back
Top Bottom