How can I check if I am rebuying my stolen headlights?

Caporegime
I'd get it up in the air and see if there is any way of un-bolting the bonnet catch from underneath.

Alternatively just destroy the bonnet catch to get the bonned open (cut through it or something, if possible) and buy one on eBay to replace it with.

Or find the guy who stole your headlights and steal his bonnet catch. :p

Associate
OP
Or find the guy who stole your headlights and steal his bonnet catch. :p

I like this idea best :)

Basically, I can just about get my arm in through the (luckily un-bolted) headlight cavity and reach the mechanism, with either a tool or just my bear hand, but when I pull it to the 'full extent' that it should take to un-hook the 'hoop' on the underside of the bonnet, it's JUUUUST shy of completely clearing this hoop, like it's been bent out of place and I can't exert enough force on it with the tools I have to hand in such a small space to bend it back and allow the hoop to exit the clasp. I'm meeting a friend tomorrow who has several longer screwdrivers that I'm hoping I should be able to use to 'lever' it out of place. I figure once I have the bonnet open, I can bend whatever's broken back into shape so that it works fine again.....

Soldato
Only (only!) about £60 - not much in the grand scheme of things and a good price for 2 x headlights in great condition (AND they also turned out to have all three bulbs in each one working!) but still £60 more than I would have paid if some ***** ******* hadn't nicked my headlights! :mad: :D

Could be worse:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Leon...l:Leon&hash=item3abdb0d4e1:g:XKkAAOSwwpdW5yJB

Having read this thread I'm now paranoid someone is going to steal mine! :o

Associate
OP
Could be worse:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Leon...l:Leon&hash=item3abdb0d4e1:g:XKkAAOSwwpdW5yJB

Having read this thread I'm now paranoid someone is going to steal mine! :o

Damn......! Nah my car is nowhere near as nice as that! :) Just a lil A-B thing. I've been wondering whether there's anything I can do to make it more secure in case they come back, but I think as others have said it's more likely they were looking for a specific part for a specific job and just happened to pick on my vehicle. There's always 5-10% douchebags in the world, so I wouldn't worry too much :)

Soldato
TBH with all the parts theft recently. it's probably worth marking all the easy to remove parts with a UV pen. Or changing the bolts to things like headlights non-standard ones.

Back
Top Bottom