No 3tb or 4tb 2.5 drives?

Associate
Does anyone know why they don't make 3tb or 4tb 2.5 drives?

the storage drive in my new alien ware is only 1tb and i want to replace it, doesn't need to be ssd as its only for storing music/videos but the best i can find is 2tb..?

Don
Because cramming that much data into a 2.5" drive is physically quite a hard task.

In 3.5" drives, you have the luxury of larger diameter platters, and the drive is physically taller so can fit an additional platter or 2.

With the speed at which SSD Capacity is increasing and cost decreasing, I imagine developing higher capacity 2.5" hard drives isn't necessarily viable.

3.5" storage hard drives are still being developed e.g. 8TB and 10TB models, but they use shingled recording, which whilst it could be applied to 2.5" drives to improve capacity, isn't ideal for laptops that may only have a single hard drive for example.

Soldato
yes there are 4TB 2.5" laptop hard drive available :)

OCUK doesnt sell them. cant say where from thou :(

just google '4tb 2.5 hard drive' they are available everywhere

Soldato
I have seen some 2.5" disks of 3-4TB put into external Caddies. I purchased a WD 4TB to upgrade my PS4 however the disk itself is about 14mm high, so twice the size of a regular drive, so may not fit into a laptop.

Soldato
Apart from the fact they are 15mm tall and basically won't fit in most laptops :)

I was just about to reply the same.

This is a common problem people stumble into, due to the capacity, they have more platters, which in turn makes them fatter. You need to make sure you can support a 15mm hard drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
interesting, this 4tb hard drive is avertised as 'laptop' . very naughty of them

you're right. the one i saw is 15mm high. model ST4000LM016

Soldato
yes there are 4TB 2.5" laptop hard drive available :)

OCUK doesnt sell them. cant say where from thou :(

just google '4tb 2.5 hard drive' they are available everywhere

I see what you mean if you're talking about this one from another computing supplier.

Seagate 4TB 2.5" Laptop Hard Disk Drive/HDD ST4000LM016

The pictures do make it look very thin, but the dimensions do say its 15mm high.

Bit misleading that.

didn't see your edit above.

Back
Top Bottom